Which is the best translation of the bible...

by TheApostleAK 20 Replies latest jw friends

• JanH
    JanH

dshields,

Simply this, the scripture is an example of Christ claiming deity, something that no Jew would ever do under pain of death.

Sorry, I cannot agree.

On John 8:58, I totally agree with the NWT as it stands. The trinitarian "before Abraham was, I Am" is a pretty ridiculous rendering. It is not even a meaningful sentence in English. It is a good rule of translation that the sentence should at least make sense syntactically in the target language. The context also show that Jesus was claiming to have existed before Abraham, not to be the "I am".

- Jan
    --
    Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. [Ambrose Bierce, The Devil´s Dictionary, 1911]

• XJWBill
    XJWBill

Not being a Greek or Hebrew scholar, I can't say which translation is the best. But I will share this: many years after leaving the WTS, being led towards Communion for the first time ever (long story omitted here), I wanted to see what the Bible really said about it. So I dug out my old Kingdom Interlinear along with my NWT and a new NIV.

I was still thinking even at that late date that the NWT was, as advertised, "the most accurate word-for-word literal translation ever made." Imagine my shock and consternation, then, when I discovered that even the Kingdom Interlinear shows Jesus saying "This IS my body...this IS my blood" and NOT "This means...."

Of course, you can proceed to interpret His words from that point on--but what a betrayal, I felt, to deliberately change the plain sense of what Jesus said on this rather important occasion!

We were such dupes.

Bill

"If we all loved one another as much as we say we love God, I reckon there wouldn't be as much meanness in the world as there is."--from the movie Resurrection (1979)

• AlanF
    AlanF

I really have to laugh at you, dshields. All you've done is to copy stuff from one or more stock-standard Fundy-Trinitarian anti-JW pages. Big Deal. Thousands of your ilk do it.

While the JWs are royally mucked up in many ways, their NWT agrees with quite a few other Bible translations on John 8:58. The fact that you present only the stock-standard Fundy-Trinitarian anti-JW arguments shows that you have no idea what you're talking about, but are merely parroting what certain Fundy leaders have told you. And they've royally misinformed you, just as JW leaders have misinformed JWs in so many other areas.

The simple fact is that John 8:58 -- in context -- has Jesus telling the Jews that he existed before Abraham. Greek usage is that in many cases what is technically the present tense, such as "I am", is often being used as the past tense. Modern French provides an analogy. One says, "Je suis allez" ("I went"; literally, "I am gone"). No one who knows French would claim that a speaker who used that phrase was referring to the present. Similarly, biblical Greek often uses the technically present tense as a past tense, so that context must be a guide to meaning for non-native speakers of this ancient Greek. To see this for yourself, simply go to a good library and look up the information in a solid Greek concordance like Moulton-Geden.

The solidly trinitarian New Living Translation renders John 8:58 this way:

"The truth is, I existed before Abraham was even born!"

The marginal commentary on 8:58 states in part: "When he said that he existed before Abraham was born, he undeniably proclaimed his divinity."

This commentary is easily argued with, but my point here is that a solidly trinitarian translation demonstrably comes down on the side of the hated NWT here, in terms of the specific words of translation. What those words mean is a completely separate issue from what they apparently translate to. Therefore, to pretend that the standard
    Fundy/Evangelical interpretation of John 8:58 is unassailably correct is to ignore a great deal of scholarship by other Christians 'not of this fold' -- which is a shame.

Many Bible translations that have no problem translating the Greek form of "I am" into the contextually sensible "I was" or "I have been" or whatever in places other than John 8:58, are inconsistent in ignoring the context of John 8:58 and going along with tradition that can be traced back to St. Augustine. Thus these translations implicitly acknowledge that the literal Greek form "I am" also can mean "I was" and "I have been" and so on. But they don't inform the ignorant among their readers, and so we find that people like you, who are clearly completely ignorant of the original autographs, just go along with your leaders, much like JWs just go along with their leaders, since that's much easier than doing your own research and potentially bucking the system.

AlanF

• iggy
    iggy

JanH why do the Jews want to kill Jesus after Jhn 8:58 if he was not making himself out to be the "I am" of the Old Testament or at least equal to God.
    Iggy

• dshields1
    dshields1

You wrote:

"I really have to laugh at you, dshields. All you've done is to copy stuff from one or more stock-standard Fundy-Trinitarian anti-JW pages. Big Deal. Thousands of your ilk do it.

While the JWs are royally mucked up in many ways, their NWT agrees with quite a few other Bible translations on John 8:58. The fact that you present only the stock-standard Fundy-Trinitarian anti-JW arguments shows that you have no idea what you're talking about, but are merely parroting what certain Fundy leaders have told you. And they've royally misinformed you, just as JW leaders have misinformed JWs in so many other areas."

--------------------------------

Well there are a few things that I will say to you that should help others who read your posts. The standard Watchtower/Cult response to a doctrinal challenge is exactly what you just posted. First they laugh at the person and then they attempt to "box" them into a stereotype such as a "apostate", "evil slave", "fundy", etc. All cults do this but the Jehovah's Witnesses are especially fond of character assassination. It is quite interesting that while they engage in this kind of response in order to discredit their opponents they (and you) never seem to get around to addressing the real issues at hand. The fact is that there is no instance in the history of the New Testament where ego eimi is translated as "have been". Oh the NWT tries to as well as Greber's Demonic New Testament that the Watchtower is so fond of quoting but that is about as far as it goes. Of course, if I was a non-trinitarian and wanted to write a version that supported my beliefs then of course I could certainly do that.

The other issue is that the Pharisees immediately sought to stone Christ right after this statement by Him.

John 5:18 really sheds a lot of light on the context of this whole situation where it says (NWT):

"On this account, indeed, the Jews began seeking all the more to kill him, because not only was he breaking the Sabbath but he was also calling God his own Father, making himself equal to God."

The Pharisees KNEW what Jesus was claiming in John 8:58 and this is why they sought to kill him.

In closing I will say this:

I have spent the last several years studying Greek. I felt the need to find the truth for myself without having to listen to others and follow their own interpretations. Instead I have been able to come to my own conclusions based on a thorough examination of the bible and the language that it was written in. The fact that Christ is God is very plain and easily found in many different areas of both the old and new testament. Rather than reply to your verbal assaults in kind I will merely close with a wish:

I wish you peace.

Doug Shields

• Francois
    Francois

Hey JanH:

Good point, and logical to boot. How many JWs don't think they've got the best translation on the planet, even if it IS green?

I've found the best way to really get an insightful grasp on the laconic and abstruse Tao Te Ching is to read as many translations as possible. Perhaps the same would work with the bible.

Francois

• Tina
    Tina

Great thread here,thanks JanH! hugs,Tina

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny...."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense,you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

• JanH
    JanH

Iggy,

JanH why do the Jews want to kill Jesus after Jhn 8:58 if he was not making himself out to be the "I am" of the Old Testament or at least equal to God.

I can't cease to marvel at the touching faith trinitarians have in the rationality of Jewish mobs.

Did Stephen also claim to be the "I am" of the OT? Or did the sentiments of Jewish mobs suddenly change?

- Jan
    --
    Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. [Ambrose Bierce, The Devil´s Dictionary, 1911]

• Carmel
    Carmel

Since the Quran, the Kitab Iqan!

caveman

• outnfree
    outnfree

Personally, dshields,

I find “one of the most damning statements made in the Kingdom Interlinear” to be found also on Page 5 of the 1969 edition:

“Sincere searchers for eternal, life-giving truth desire an accurate understanding of the faith-inspiring Greek Scriptures, an understanding that will not be confused by sectarian,
    denominational religious teaching
    but that is fortified by the knowledge of what the original language says and means. To aid such seekers of truth and life is the purpose behind the publishing of The Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures.
    Its literal interlinear English translation is specially designed to open up to the student of the Sacred Scriptures what the original koine Greek basically or literally says, without any sectarian religious coloration.” (emphasis mine).

We all know how THAT actually worked. I described my distress with the “sectarian religious coloration” of the verses XJWBill mentions concerning the Greek which is translated “this means my body/cup of my blood” at Matthew 16:26-28, Mark 12:22-24
    and Luke 22:19-20 in the NWT but which actually SAYS “this is my body” in a letter to the Society a few years back.

The reply was less than satisfactory. Although I had NEVER questioned what Jesus MEANT when Jesus said this in my letter -- having been raised with the Protestant view, unchanged as a JW, that it was all symbolic -- the Society focused on that.

MY focus was on their obvious deceit. How when a dispute came up over this in field service, I had defended the NWT and then searched out the Kingdom Interlinear. I was later, of course, forced to admit to my study that our translation was indeed colored by the translators point of view. (Silly me, to have honestly believed my brothers’ words!)

In regard to John 8:58, I agree with JanH that the NWT has it right given the context. My take on why the Jews may have taken “up stones to throw at him” for blasphemy was because in verse 56 Jesus had said that Abraham had rejoiced to see his day, saw it, and
    was glad. They mistakenly thought that Jesus was equating his ministry with Jehovah’s Day of Wrath, thus making himself [perhaps] God. When asked if he had seen Abraham, Jesus tried to clarify his previous statement by testifying to his previous existence, knowing as he did that Abraham had been given a glimpse of how God intended to ransom mankind when he was asked to sacrifice Isaac -- thus had “seen Jesus’ day” and rejoiced. (Not to mention the fact that he may have been alive in heaven at that very moment observing the outworking of God's Plan.)

If it is dishonest in your opinion to translate ego eimi with anything other than “I am” it is equally dishonest IMO for translators to make the leap into capitalizing the “Am” so that
    the words become a title or name rather than a subject and predicate. Today’s English Version even puts “I Am” in quotes. Does the sentence then, make better sense? “Before Abraham was born, ‘I Am.’” “Before Abraham was born, YHWH.” “Before Abraham was born, Jesus.” “Before Abraham was born, Almighty.” I am with AlanF in thinking that “I am” can be and has been translated “I was” and “I have been” in other places.

(Out of curiosity, Doug -- How do you explain the difference in the Greek Septuagint ho ohn’ translated ‘The I Am’ at Exodus 3:24 and the Greek ego eimi at John 8:58? I am not being a smart aleck. I would really like to know.)

On the question of Hebrews 1:8, it is not just the WT who has a problem with the grammar there and how to turn the phrase.

“But with reference to the Son: ‘God is your throne forever, and [the] scepter of your kingdom is the scepter of uprightness.’” -- NWT

“About the Son, however, God said: ‘Your kingdom, O God, will last forever and ever! You rule over your people with justice.” -- Today’s English Version

Of this, Bart Ehrman’s book The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture, Page 265, has this to say: (Please note that the italicized “Greek” is my poor attempt at translating the actual
    Greek used in his text into English letters as I have no Greek font.)

“The need to differentiate Christ from God [in the Anti-Patripassianist school] is also evident in the interesting variant at Hebrews 1:8, one of the few New Testament passages that appears to designate Christ as “God.” The author quotes Psalm 44:7 as a declaration of God to [pros] Christ: “Your throne O God is forever and ever; and the righteous scepter is the scepter of your kingdom.” Interpretive problems abound in the passage, in
    part because the nominative ho theos, normally construed as a vocative (“O God”), could also be taken as a predicate. In that case, the introductory clause would be rendered, “Your throne is God forever and ever, . . .” Understood this way, the text no longer calls Christ “God.”

For a variety of contextual reasons, however, the majority of scholars prefer to understand the nominative as a vocative.17 Recognizing the exegetical issue, however, makes the textual problem at the end of the verse all the more interesting. For the second personal pronoun son (‘your” kingdom) has been changed to the third person anton in some of the best Alexandrian witnesses from the third-century on. With this reading, the kingdom is
    said not to be Christ’s but God’s. The change affects the interpretation of the first element of the dystich, as well; now it must be God’s throne that is “forever and ever.” In other words, the textual change at the end of the verse naturally leads one to understand the earlier nominative ho theos as a predicate rather than a vocative, so that now the verse reads “God is your throne forever and ever; the righteous scepter is the scepter of his
    kingdom.”

Most scholars reject the Alexandrian reading because it does not fit as well into the context.18 Why, though, was the change made in the first place? It dates to the period of our concern and appears to resolve a problematic feature of the verse. Christ is no longer
    identified as the one God (ho theos) himself, but is in some sense (in the economy!) made subordinate to him: “God [himself] is your throne.”19

Footnotes:

17. See most recently Attridge, Epistle to the Hebrews, 58-59, and the literature he cites there.

18. See Metzger, Textual Commentary, 662-63 for the issues involved. Cf. also Attridge, Epistle to the Hebrews, 58-59.

19. Of course, the orthodox could use the verse even as it stands against the Patripassianists, by noting that in the text God the Father addresses God the Son, and presumably was not simply talking to himself. See, for example, Tertullian, Adv. Prax.,
    who refers explicitly, however, to the text of the Psalm rather than to its quotation in the book of Hebrews. Nonetheless, the point is that at least one scribe evidences a similar concern but took a different route to implement it, by requiring the modification of the
    address of Christ as “the [one and only] God.”

Of course, note the continuation of the quoted Psalm in verse 9 of Hebrews 1. It reads:“You love what is right and hate what is wrong. That is why God, your God, has chosen you and has given you the joy of an honor far greater than he gave to your companions.”
    -- TEV

The Psalm itself reads” “The kingdom that God has given you will last forever and ever. You rule over your people with justice; you love what is right and hate what is evil. That is why God, your God, has chosen you and has poured out more happiness on you than on
    any other king.” -- Psalm 45:6,7 [i]TEV[i]

And finally, why does “calling God his own Father” make Jesus equal to God. Are you equal to your father? Or are you two different beings? I never understood how that verse (John 5:18) was a proof text for Jesus = God. Especially when Jesus corrects them in
    verse 19 by saying that “the Son can do nothing by himself, he can do only what he sees the Father doing” and in verse 23 explains that he is the representative of “the Father who sent him.”

outnfree

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit