Why are Humans so Obsessed with trying to find Meaning in Ancient Writings that they waste their life on and are willing to die for ?

by smiddy3 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

When you stop and think about it , isn`t it just plain crazy ? Ludicrous even ? To live your life on texts centuries old and are willing to die upholding those beliefs ?

Writings of thousands of years ago by people who by all accounts are men ( no women by the way ,I wonder why that is ) by today`s standards would be considered uneducated simply because they haven`t been exposed to the advancement of knowledge/science that has been accumulated in the centuries since these ancient writings were penned .?

Are the masses of humans around the earth really intelligent ? considering the majority of humans around the earth , male and female live and die according to the texts/scriptures /writings of one form of belief/religion or another that are centuries old in their origins and have no or little relevance to today`s society .

• redpilltwice
    redpilltwice

Interesting topic. What you call "waste their life" might be a genetic trait that drives people in their quest for spiritual meaning and their desire to somehow connect with the divine entity of their choice lol. Both believers and atheists claim to have proof for their viewpoint by the way, so don't expect this "obsession" to end soon regardless the times of enlightenment we (you and me that is) are experiencing right now.

https://m.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/psychology-research-shows-your-genes-play-a-big-ro/3177363/

• Not_Culty
    Not_Culty

Its a mind virus .

• venus
    venus

I agree with Not_Culty

If people are willing to reason they would know that Scriptures are not God’s way of communication. For example, God did not safeguard Bible from being interpolated [see the reference editions which put things in brackets such as portions after Mark 16:8 ....etc] which He would definitely do if He is its author and owner. And even more important evidence that it is not God’s communication is that Bible is the basis for all conflicted sects which run into over 41000! This is the pattern we have observed in people as Ekhart Tolle rightly puts it: “If the structures of the human mind remain unchanged, we will always end up re-creating the same world, the same evils, the same dysfunction.”

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    Why are Humans so Obsessed with trying to find Meaning in Ancient Writings that they waste their life on and are willing to die for ?

I'd restate that like this: "Why are SOME Humans so Obsessed with trying to find Meaning in Ancient Writings that they waste their life on and are willing to die for ?"

I can't care less and can give you a list of many others who don't care either.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Ancient writings such of what makes up the bible were done so for their inherent reason in their originality and intent, mostly about creating power and relevance to a god.

They were also a set edict established to socially control a given civilization..

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I think it's at least partly influenced by the idea that mysterious ancient civilizations had secret, world-altering knowledge that was somehow lost, has been sort-of found again, and is just waiting to be decoded correctly and brought to light.

I could be wrong.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

It's our mythological connection to the past, it a time well spent if done not with the gullibility of Bible thumping preacher, but with an education in critical thinking and understanding of ancient beliefs at that age/time.

Much psychological benefits come from an examination with a critical eye to understand development of human thought.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

There is also that segment of people seeking to bask in the power and glory of the god(s).

The leaders of the WTS. were just such men.

They painted themselves as righteous honest men with integrity, when they were really card playing opportunist.

Corralling people into believing them was their personal initiative and wouldn't you know it these allured ones were even willing to work and give money as part of that driving endeavor.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

My friend heard of this guru who lived in India who knew the meaning of life, so he took the next flight to India. When he landed he took a train to the end of the line, he then rented a jeep and drove it to the foothills and then he borrowed a donkey and rode it until the donkey could not go no further, he walked the rest of the way. He found the guru cave and entered it. He asked the guru the meaning of life. The guru said that the meaning of life was mushrooms. At first my friend was confused but the more he thought about the more it made sense. He ran out of the cave down the mountain, rode his donkey to the jeep and his jeep to the train to the airport. After land ing at LAX he called his friends and told them he knows the meaning of life. After he told us the meaning of life we had questions and he could not answer any of our questions. Well he took the next flight back to India, and the same grueling trip.He entered the cave a second time and told the guru the the meaning of life can not be mushrooms. The guru said, "Well then it must be turnips"..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit