one small difference between JWs and Catholics...

by Ravyn 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

ran across this on the EWTN website:

(under Catholic Q&A)

Attending a Christian wedding of a person baptized catholic
    Question from Mary Ann Schmitt on 08-18-2003:

Is it against Canon Law for a Catholic to attend a family wedding performed by a Christian minister? The groom was baptized and confirmed a Catholic, but as an adult has chosen a different faith community.

Answer by David Gregson on 09-05-2003:

There is no canonical restriction against attending the wedding of a noncatholic. But there may be a moral issue. Will it cause scandal? Is there any way in which attending his wedding would suggest you approved or condoned his decision to leave the Catholic Church? For example, if he did so in order to be married contrary to Church law(as, if either of them has a former spouse still living), you wouldn't want to appear to lend your support. However, if no implication is likely to be drawn, that he left the Church in order to enter into this marriage, then there should be no moral problem in your attending his wedding.

COPYRIGHT 2003

just a little different from the shunning JWs practice eh?

Ravyn

• gumby
    gumby

Intresting Rayvn,

It all boils down to "were right and everyone else is wrong"......

These question that were presented for a catholic to consider, sounded like they were written by Pope Fred Franz

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

It sure does leave a sick taste in your mouth (like the taste of caca)!

But EWTN is very very very conservative and extreme. It don't think what they say represents what most Catholics would even think about. In fact, this question would not even arise in 99.9% of Catholics minds. And even if it did, they would go ahead and do what their own conscience allowed them to do and no one would ever be shunned. There would not be a scandal. That is so rediculous it is funny.

It seems like many people who watch ETWN and would ask such a question obviously have the same extreme fundamental Catholicism (my own made up term). Also, ETWN is hardly the equivalent of the governing body so whatever they may say Catholics could take it or leave it. And I think that is quite a large difference.

• heathen
    heathen

Who do they think they're kidding here . The catholic church wouldn't even excommunicate hitler or the child molesting preists for cryin out loud .

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

ahhh..okaaaay..am I reading it wrong? looks to me like it says even if the person leaves the Catholic Church there will be no shunning and it is only a moral issue IF the marriage is flying in the face of Church morals....otherwise go ahead and attend the wedding! And even with a moral issue , it is not a rule that the person not attend....

sometimes I used to think the JWs were so anti-Catholic because they were secretly jealous of them.

and yes EWTN is very conservative which is why I thot this was a telling piece of advice. If the conservative Catholics feel THIS way then the liberals must be even looser?

I realize the scandal in the Catholic church over the child abuse is a horrible thing...but they are now taking care of it as best they can--does not change the past--but will change the future---and isnt that what we all want from the Borg? But the Borg still maintains innocence even when caught out! that is criminal and sick.

Ravyn

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Yep you're reading it right Ravvyn. But it still tastes like caca in my mouth. I think the part that bothers me the most is the question. What kind of an idiot would ask such a stupid question? I can't imagine any of the thousands of Catholics I have known in my life ever conceiving of asking this question. It's almost like a question from readers article. Ewwww!

But I got your point. I would much rather they had ignored this reader's question or replied something to the effect of, "Listen Lady! You're not a baby. Make your own decision!"

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

unfortunately there are more sheep than tigers....

Ravyn(black sheep....BTW)

RRRRROOOOAAARRRRRR!

• heathen
    heathen

I guess my opinion was more based on WTF is the catholic church giving moral council for .lol

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    realize the scandal in the Catholic church over the child abuse is a horrible thing...but they are now taking care of it as best they can

I'm catholic, but I wouldn't say that - best they can would at least break them financially

There are catholics, and there are catholics - like the world around - same as, there are spiritual people, and there are fundamentalists

paduan

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim
    There is no canonical restriction against attending the wedding of a noncatholic.

THat is the most important sentence. Another difference between Catholics and JWs is that you don't have to guess...or rip through 100 years worth of magazines to find a ruling...we have a Code Of Cannon Law.

Secondly...that isn't the conservative view point...that's the standard view point...no canonical rule against it...but you are encouraged to make a spiritually mature decision.

The catholic church wouldn't even excommunicate hitler or the child molesting preists for cryin out loud .
    There was no need to excommunicate Hitler...he left the church LONG LONG LONG before he became Furher...the Child Molesting Priests...well....though it would be a good idea...first...they have to be convicted...second they'd have to show no remorse....etc etc etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit