Interesting Factoid - Religious Decline

by WireRider 16 Replies latest jw friends

• WireRider
    WireRider
    On the news today - PEW Research Center study on religion. (sampling size about 40,000. US samples. Margin of error +/- 0.6 %)
    Americans who say that are "absolutely certain" that God exists2007 = 71% 2014 = 63%
    Americans who say they are "religiously affiliated"2007 = 83% 2014 = 77%
    Americans who consider religion is "very important"2007 = 56% 2014 = 53%
    I just thought it was interesting to see. It does not necessarily indicate a linear decline. There could have been good years and bad years, but the overall trend is dropping. You have to believe for those that derive all of their income from religious claims, "donations", free slave sales labor, have to be planning accordingly. All are dropping.
    It's hard to believe that any religious group is claiming year-over-year great growth for decades. Constant needs for building and expansion does not make sense.
    Why do people donate money and volunteer to create real estate properties wholly owned for the mother ship?
  • cofty
    cofty

Thanks for posting this survey, very interesting.

I am from UK but am I right in saying that there are parts of the USA that are far more religious than others?

• sir82
    sir82

interesting.

The religious market is shrinking, those who remain are likely firmly entrenched in their current belief system.

WTS will have to work even harder to post even modest membership growth.

Just another line of evidence leading to what I see as inevitable - JW numbers are at or very near their peak, the decline will likely start before the decade is out.

• WireRider
    WireRider

cofty - yes, there are various parts of the US with religious emphasis. I wouldn't be a JW knocking on doors in far south Baptist territory. They have their Bible and shotgun. Don't knock on their door and tell them they're wrong.

Levity aside - the US regions are very diverse. The study was nationwide and rather agnostic. It included all religions. JW are by random sampling, part of the study.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Just another line of evidence leading to what I see as inevitable - JW numbers are at or very near their peak, the decline will likely start before the decade is out.

Any day now. JW decline is just around the corner.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

The south is well known for having more church going people, it's called the bible belt for a reason. The North east and west coast people tend to be more liberal and less inclined to religious belief, the mid west tends to lean more conservative politically, but they are not as religiously inclined as the south.

Ten most religious states per Gallup pole:

Mississippi

Utah

Alabama

Louisiana

South Carolina

Tennessee

Georgia

Arkansas

North Carolina

Oklahoma

Kentucky

• Simon
    Simon
    I am from UK but am I right in saying that there are parts of the USA that are far more religious than others?

Yes, and the level of insanity is unbelievable.

I don't know if you follow the US election but it's on 24x7 here even in Canada and the actual election is still over a year away! The religious candidates just come out with a constant stream of bat-shit crazy and are riding high in the polls.

It scares the bajeezus out of me.

Although certain states tend to be more "Jesusland" than others most of the divide in the US is really City vs Rural. The Cities have education and guns whereas the Rural areas have Jesus and guns.

• sir82
    sir82

It scares the bajeezus out of me.

You'll get used to it.

The type of campaigning needed to win a primary is far different than what is needed to win a general election.

Currently, the Republicans are pandering to the most bat-$#!+ crazy 33% of the Republican base.

That will lock up the "uneducated angry white male" vote, but that's about it.

Republicans are currently doing absolutely everything in their power to alienate 100% of Hispanic voters,

It's really quite stunning, their utter cluelessness. No one will ever win the US presidency again without carrying at least 40% of the Hispanic vote - at their current rate, Republicans won't get even close to 10%.

• Heaven
    Heaven

It is an interesting exercise to step back and look at Religion's history.

As our knowledge and technology have increased, the instances of God actually interacting directly with mankind has dwindled off to those who suffer from auditory hallucinations.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Yes, it's crazy, it's like watching a train wreck. Idiots like Carson and Trump are getting all the attention, when they don't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting elected (well, I HOPE not, I guess anything is possible) forcing more moderate candidates to pander to the same demographic. Not only is it not working and they look stupid, they are painting themselves into a corner, they will have an uphill battle when it come to the general election. Jeb! (Registered trademark) was considered a virtual lock for the nomination, but he can't seem to get his act together. Cruz totally shut him down in the debate, it was almost painful to watch him stand there getting schooled by his younger rival and former protege. The Republican party seems to be on self destruct.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit