Scientologists Seem WORSE than the JWs!

by teenyuck 10 Replies latest jw friends

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

This was in the local paper today, in the gossip section of all things:

Research into the Church of Scientology has revealed that some of Hollywood’s most powerful stars may have signed documents giving up their right to psychiatric care (a major concession in Hollywood) and to see relatives. Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Kirstie Alley, Juliette Lewis and Lisa Marie Presley are among the celebrities who could have signed contracts banning the privileges as they moved up the church’s hierarchy, the Web site Page Six reports. Documents relating to the bans have been uncovered by David Touretzky, a research professor at Carnegie Mellon University who has been studying the religion for six years. One such document specifies that advanced training can happen only after members "forever (give) up (the) right to sue the church and its staff for any injury or damage suffered in any way connected with Scientology." "It seems that Scientologist superstars like Tom Cruise, John Travolta and wealthy patrons such as Lisa Marie Presley may be signing away rights most citizens within free countries take for granted," religious-cult expert Rick Ross writes on his Web site.

At least we did not sign a contract stating what we would not give up. These poor saps are actually signing away their right to sue!!

David Touretzky, has a website, which has a pages devoted to this:

Rick Ross is a cult researcher and his site has some interesting info on JWs....

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

1) Scientologists exist, I think, just to make Witnesses look "normal". They do get the hotties, though. Man, I though JW doctrine was bad...L.Ron was totally wack.

2) Rick Ross thinks that Mary Kay is a mind-control cult.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

He also has Amway listed....

I must say, co-worker tried to get me into a new *thing* at work....he was in Mass and I was in Kansas (worked for Lucent)....I talked with him everyday on the phone. He was *unhappy* with the direction of the company then and decided to take a proactive approach to his retirement.....

He would let me in on the secret, but only if I would see the video. He sent me the video. You guessed it. AMWAY.

Pyramid scheme all the way. You sign up more people and the more people you sign up the more money you make and the more he makes. I told him I sold magazines as a kid, up until about age 20 and was not interested.

He was convinced that Amway was going to be his saviour....then again, with Lucent stock at $1.50, he may be right....

• Amazing
    Amazing

I agree ... and Scientologists are far more expensive than JWs ... they string you along for more information and levels ... and it costs more, only to be strung along some more ... they truly scare me.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

JWs are different from most religions... they usually don't do harm through their actions (though sometimes they do)... instead, they do harm through their inaction.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Phantom:

2) Rick Ross thinks that Mary Kay is a mind-control cult.

I didn't see Mary Kay listed his "groups" database. There is one article (not written by Rick Ross) in the archives about Mary Kay being a MLM (multi-level marketing) scheme, but - "Rick Ross thinks that Mary Kay is a mind-control cult" seems to be overstating things a bit.

Teenyuck, from reading that I agree - JW's seem tame compared to Hubbard's kooky kult. That Lisa McPherson experience is just sickening.

It is much like the Watchtower though, with a bunch of crafty lawyers running the show.

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Dan, apparently you just took a sarcasm fastball looking. :)

It was a comment intended to show that IMHO Ross is a bit over-the-top.

• ESTEE
  • JeffT
    JeffT

About the time I was deciding I needed to escape (1987) I took a class called The Forum, that was an offshoot of Erhard Seminars Training (EST). I had hired on with a company that required all employees to take the class, so I agreed. Although neither side will admit it, EST and Scientology have a lot in common, although it is a lot easier to stop going to EST classes. But it has many of the same hallmarks of a cult. All I can say is, I'm glad I never hooked up with Scientology.

A few years ago I got roped into going to an Amway meeting. Among other things the people that invited me pretty much lied about where we were going (he told me he was starting a business and needed an accountant). This wasn't my first brush with Amway, what I find interesting is that I've never met an Amway person that is actually making money at it, they are always just about to it the big time. They're as bad as dubs waiting for the big A.

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

The fact that Scientology is still going strong proves to me that the Watchtower will never die.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit