Conventions

by Holden Caufield 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• Holden Caufield
    Holden Caufield

What did you make of the conventions I used to dread them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6BhLhTbAOs

• MrExJW
    MrExJW

So for 40 years of conventions...

Hated them,

Then hoped it was a way to meet girls,

Then liked them,

Then loved them because I gave many talks.

Now embarrassed I ever went to one.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Most of those in attendance at that convention are now in their 70s or are pushing daisies.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

I'm not quite ready to push daisies yet but there were moments during those 8 miserable days that I would've given anything for some escape.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

last biggish one i endured was at the old Wembly stadium--London UK--about 1969 or 70 i think. it rained the whole time. it was trully dreadful--i vowed--never again.

and never did.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

I can't believe conventions used to go for 8 days (when was that until?). A person can't retain that much information all at once. And what is there to even talk about after a day or two of talks and "dramatizations"?

• Incognigo Montoya
    Incognigo Montoya

I dreaded going until I discovered girls. Then lunch time was fun to cruise and look at and occasionally talk to girls from other congregations. When I got older I learned to post up in one spot with my buddies and we just watched all the pretty girls go by, stopping them and talking to them, or them stopping and talking to us. It was a good time.

• Holden Caufield
    Holden Caufield

I used to go to the 3 day ones only.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

How crazy is that video. People swept up in religious fervour....its happened many times throughout history, I guess, and we were too.

The internet has a lot to answer for but by gad, I doubt so many could be fooled at one time again, its information for the ignorant masses. Now anyone can educate themselves if they are motivated.

• scruffmcbuff
    scruffmcbuff

Reminds me of being tired and bored and hungry. My dad used to regularly hand sweets down to us kids tho so that kept me going.

As i got older i used to try to find girls.

That didnt work so i volounteered for either first aid or cleaning so i got a bit of time away from sat in that hall/stadium.

Id never force my kids to sit still for an entire weekend. Why the hell did our parents (for the born ins) think that was ok??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit