How Can I Get Info on a Dead JW ??

by SanFranciscoJim 10 Replies latest jw friends

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

I just received a fascinating email from someone looking for information on a JW who died in the late 1970s. All I have is the person's name and city of residence at the time of death. Is there some place (preferably on the internet) I can go to see a copy of the death certificate? Is there any way I can get info on this person (perhaps a police report)?

It is of great interest to me to get this information. The email contains the single most extraordinary story I have ever heard about a JW, and I would somehow like to document it.

Sorry, but I can't go into more details until/unless I have my correspondent's permission.

• sens
    sens

Jim, someone posted about this not long ago If you do a search im sure you will find it..

sorry I cant remember the name of the topic

3 Sens 4

alt

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Jim, you know...I've done that too, but not recently.

It was not easy.

I did however, subscribe to an on-line site of the particular newspaper of the city the person lived in.

I was able to read obituaries from many years. The worst part was, I knew someone had died, but I did not know the month/day. Thankfully, there was a search engine built into their site, and after a few frustrating clicks: I found the person.

It wasn't easy.

In one case, I knew a minister (United Church) in Atlantic Canada, and he assisted me in finding out about death confirmations in a particular community back there. That helped me immensely. Even though the person that died was a JW, they still could find out, as he had access to some data bank there.

I know this is no easy task. The newspaper website thing helped me 100%. The minister, was basically my plan B, but a great resource 'just in case'.

Good luck Jim. Good to see you on here.

• Been there
    Been there

SFJ,

I don't know if they would have the info on the internet for that far back by typing in Google, the town then obituaries but you could try that. Below is a link to get a death certificate on the net but you have to pay for it. You will also need all the important information to get it probably like date of birth, death etc.

http://www.usavital.com/

Edited to add........Google search type in "Death Certificate how to get" and you will get all kinds of ways to get one.

• smurfette
    smurfette

Try the genealogy sites San Francisco Jim. Look under the Social Securtity Death Index for info. You'll at least get the basic info on the person in ?? if that's what you're looking for. Roots.com is free, I think you can do a free search through the LDS family research site too. (LDS is the Mormon Church or Latter Day Saints) I've found info on lots of my relatives who died in the 70's from these sites. Otherwise the death certificate advice is the way to go, but it'll cost you a couple $$.

-Good Luck and Best Wishes-

• Pepper
    Pepper

Sounds like you need to get Spirit medium.

• Scully
    Scully

Jim:

Here's a website that helps you search all kinds of public records: www.knowx.com

It's most useful for finding all kinds of information. It is US based, so if the person you are searching for was living in the USA at the time of their death, you'll likely turn up something.

Love, Scully

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Jim,

It almost sounds like you are looking for Jason Redfern, the fabled young Bethelite who killed himself after he was hit on by a GB member. I worked on this one for months, at the request of Bill Bowen, until I ofund out he was having about four or five other ex-dubs working on it too ... and then I stopped.

I discovered that finding death records is extremely hard to do unless you are willing to pay the money. I have done this many times, and discovered that I could find names on the Social Security list. The only Jason Redfern there was an old guy from Atlanta, Georgia.

I eventually decided to contact the County offices in New York where Watchtower Farms are located. They wanted a letter from me with a $25 fee, and I would have to name to correct city where the death was recorded. The money part was okay ... but if the search came up negative, then I would select anothre city, and so on until I found Jason ... and I just saw this as an expensive needle in the haystack.

There is NO National Database ... what works best is to hire a Private Investigator ... and they are not cheap ... and hope that he can find the person faster than you could have. I spent months on the Internet, bought investigation programs, and search newspapers archives, county record, State vital statistics, etc. Some of these are on the Internet, and some require letters and fees with no guarantees. - Jim W.

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

I appreciate everyone's suggestions. I will try them all and see what I come up with. I may end up having to go the private investigator route, but since I'm unemployed, that's a last resort.

Amazing, I am not investigating Jason Redfern. I would like to see whatever info turns up on his case, however.

The case I am working on involves a suicide within the JWs. The reason behind the suicide is startling. If/when I get permission from my correspondent, I will go into more detail. Suffice it to say that it is extraordinary.

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

Social Security Death Index will have everyone who ever had a SS# AND whose family was paid death benefits.

the best one is on rootsweb.com

all you need is the name (or even part of the name) and an idea where they might have last lived.

they won't give you a death cert...but they can give you a copy of the original application for a SS# which can include parents name and there address. I think it is $15 and you have to give them a reason why you want it. But they don't ask for any proof of relationship.

Ravyn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit