The stuff JWs get right

by HowTheBibleWasCreated 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

Since today there is a post about JWs and science I thought it right to throw them a bone and see if they have anything right:

1. Round Earth (lol)

2. Old universe (13.7 billion years)

3. Old earth (4.4 billion years or so)

4. The theory of relativity was pushed in an awake in the 80s I think it was not to bad.

5. Life didn't come about by chance.(Of course not!... Evolution teaches the opposite!)

6. Religion is a snare and a racket! Bang on! (Just forgot themselves)

Okay that last one is no science but anyone else know of something scientific JWs have got right beside 1-5?

• tiki
    tiki

I think the only thing they got right thanks to the judge..religion is a snare and a racket. And boy are they proving that one true.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Have they ever actually come out and said #2 and #3? I thought they always just vaguely said that they were "thousands of years old." I remember a CO talking about the universe being almost 14 billion years old but I don't think I ever saw it in print. They used to teach that the universe was ~49000 years old (each of the days of creation being 7000 years) and they never officially retracted that, they just stopped saying it explicitly and always seemed to phrase things in a way that doesn't contradict that teaching but is still technically accurate (e.g. the universe is many thousands of years old).

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The only doctrine they got even close to making sense is against smoking and abusing drugs. Albeit for the wrong reason, they do have rules on the books against these soul-damaging practices. Even though they treat them as wicked instead of being stupid (I treat drugs as stupid), those who manage to follow that rule at least avoid that damage to their souls.

As for everything else, they get wrong. The cross? Avoid it? Yes, I am against that rag that is attached to too many crosses, but the cross represents the upper chakra system. Which transfers energy to and from the astral into and out of your soul. The pineal gland is supposed to be on that cross, not that jesus rag that only saps that energy and sends it to the global enslaving work. And, poverty and hardship workings? Every boasting session is one of those. Stagnation, drudgery, and material hardships are all as damaging to your soul as drugs (though if you use drugs, you are making the above worse).

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Busted clocks, yadda yadda yadda...

• cofty
    cofty

I can’t give them any credit for number 5.

Actually they always conflate the origin of life with the origin of species — but then so do most creationists.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Did JWs get points 1 to 5 right?

Or did other people make these discoveries and JWs have to accept due to the overwhelming evidence?

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

They get things right like:

- not walking on people’s grass

- being tidy

- being punctual

- crowd control

- traffic control (parking attendants)

- chair stacking

- gum removal

- hilighting/ marking up books & magazines for relevant discussion points

- learning how to knot a tie

- hand shaking

- cold calling

- counting things and numbering things and manipulating those same numbers/ statistics

- and are known for representing the highest degrees of being: judgemental, critical, fault-finding, negative, narcissistic, hypocritical, gossipy, spying, slanderous, and cognitively dissonanced.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

They never agreed to the age of the earth but said to leave it to the scientists to argue about. Fact is in my youth they were still saying Russell’s teaching of an earth about 50,000 years old was right. They also still push the idea that man is only 6000 years old.

Its a good thing your thread is about what they got right because if it was about what they have wrong it would be one damn long post!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Even point No 1 (Round Earth) they only got " right" due to a bad translation of the Hebrew word that they translate as " Circle".

The word actually means a round, but flatish object, like a dinner plate, thus reflecting the poor understanding of the reality that the Bible writers had, whilst pagan" nations had already worked out the circumference of the Earth with surprising accuracy !

No, my default position has in the last decade or so been " If the JW Org says it, it is wrong".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit