What Makes A Person A Potential "Apostate"?

by minimus 29 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

The more I think about things, the more I believe that I have been, as the Society likes to say, "courting sin". For years, I've questioned internally, the policies of the Watchtower, the teachings, the directives of CO's and DO's and the overall "attitude" of JW's. Mind you, no one would have ever thought that I didn't believe this is without a doubt the "truth". But in my heart, I always wondered as to how "they" can say this or that. I don't know if I ever was a true believer. I know I was a capable defender of the "truth". But I think I always "knew" that if push comes to shove, I would have to deal with all the lies that I've been expected to believe. ....Now, I post subjects on this board in order to help others think about all the lies and deception of this organization........I wonder how many out there are potential "apostates" by the Watchtower's standards. I wonder how many are willing to help others get out of this false religion.

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

I most definitely was a "true believer". When I joined the JWs at age 17, I was excruciatingly shy, a loner, and very, very quiet.

Training in the Theocratic Ministry School and practical experience out in field service changed all that. I gained confidence I never knew I had.

It was the way I was treated as a JW that made me leave. It had nothing to do with doctrine -- I learned all that later.

In essence, I was not a "potential apostate" - the JWs led me in that direction themselves, and insodoing unwittingly created a monster.

• teejay
    teejay

A brain.

An inquisitive mind helps, but having a brain is crucial.

• minimus
    minimus

Teejay, that's why I have a hard time understanding why some very intelligent people believe this.

• shotgun
    shotgun

I think the Halls are full of potential apostates....It's the fear of man that hold them back...same thing that held/holds me back.

Whenever a person has to dismiss his own thoughts and feelings as most in the borg they become potential apostates.

• minimus
    minimus

Perhaps, if the Socity "allowed" or "encouraged" questions and answers, there wouldn't be so many "apostates".

• wednesday
    wednesday

As with SanFranJim, they ran my family off. Until recently i have avoided the doctrinal threads. I now read them and my eyes are wide open for the first time in so many years. not only are jws UNLOVING, which i knew, but they are just WRONG.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

........I wonder how many out there are potential "apostates" by the Watchtower's standards. I wonder how many are willing to help others get out of this false religion.

I remeber Ray Franz on this -- apostasized from what -- the organization yes -- but many of us here have not apostasized from the bible -- I know that is a question of semantics - but I am obviously and probably always was a potential apostate -inquiring mind and all that good stuff -- I still do not think I have apostasized from the bible -- I think the WTBTS has done that

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    A brain.

An inquisitive mind helps, but having a brain is crucial.

teejay:

We all have brains, but trained in the B'org we've learned NOT to be critical thinkers! We were warned what would happen if we looked at other material beyond what the WTS said we could look at, the fear I think kept many of us from examining other avenues.

But in my heart, I always wondered as to how "they" can say this or that. I don't know if I ever was a true believer. I know I was a capable defender of the "truth". But I think I always "knew" that if push comes to shove, I would have to deal with all the lies that I've been expected to believe. ...

I too had many of the thoughts you had while "in" minimus, many times I voiced them to my spouce, other times I acted on them by NOT going to meetings ie; being "spiritually sick" or "spiritually weak" all passive agressive behavior. I think many attenders today do the same thing.

It was the way I was treated as a JW that made me leave. It had nothing to do with doctrine -- I learned all that later.

Jim; it was basicly the same for me except when I saw the inconsistancies in the Elder arrangement I knew it was corrupt and that was what did it for me.

mini;

I wonder how many out there are potential "apostates" by the Watchtower's standards. I wonder how many are willing to help others get out of this false religion.

I really think there are many potential "apostates" and I for one am willing to help others get out! So true it is not only false religion but IMHO evil!

KateVisit Smiley Central!

• minimus
    minimus

I am happy that there's a growing number of persons fed up with the bull that they have been force-fed. I'm sure, we aren't necessarily thinking of picketing the next convention, but perhaps we can do a little "informal witnessing" and take and/or make opportunities to speaktruth and set the record straight.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit