This truly baffles me

by robhic 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• robhic
    robhic

How can an organization...

... that supposedly holds so dearly and so steadfastly to the teachings of a certain book (the Bible) subvert and change that book? Isn't that not only hypocritical but heretical? Going so far as to write their own unique version?

... that speaks about the sovereignty of God, creator of the universe, and propose calling him by his first name like an old drinking buddy, put themselves on an equal basis with Him thru their revised baptismal vows?

... that professes the message in the Bible as love while causing and encouraging painful divisions between families, friends and loved ones in the name of love?

... take some things so literally and others so figuratively in such an arbitrary manner? They believe lions will eat grass in the "New System" -- wouldn't that require a serious evolutionary change from the carnivore existing today? Yet even though most all Bible translations talk about crucifixion -- an historical and archeologically proveable fact -- refuse to accept that bit of information? Same with eating blood. The Bible obviously talks about pagan practices involving eating blood (human and/or animal) in a ritualistic way, yet the WTS includes life-saving transfusions which were unheard of thousands of years ago?

... has called others false prophets but in regard to all of their own numerous failed prophecies just shrug their shoulders and mumble different excuses like it's all right?

... allow hypocrisy, double-standards and cover-ups of actual criminal behavior to be standard operating procedure and condoned at the highest levels?

... profess to speak for God, yet deny it when convenient because they've reversed their teachings so many times?

...acknowledge that Jesus loved everyone and didn't hold anyone as unworthy yet tries to discourage any relationships or even inter-action with those not members of the same little group? In essence, a form of segregation in direct contrast to Biblical teaching.

How can anyone dismiss all of these obvious misguided rules and actions and still truly believe that the WTS is "the Truth?" Doesn't the "truth" and "accurate knowledge" have to first be accurate and truthful? Why do so many people keep their blinders on in the face of the overwhelming facts? Is it because that is just the easiest course of action, lack of belief in contradictory evidence, fear of some kind or something else?

Can anyone explain why something so wrong is held to be so right by so many? It truly baffles me but never having been a JW I guess I don't see things from that perspective. Thanks to all who can shed "new light" on this subject.

Robert

• teejay
    teejay

>>>>>Can anyone explain why something so wrong is held to be so right by so many?

According to opinion polls, a good percentage of the American electorate think that Bush is doing a fine job. That said, I totally understand your confusion.

• minimus
    minimus

Great post! As long as people can believe that they are following "God's" understanding in the way that he imparts (thru the organization), everything's believable.

• ignorance is strength
    ignorance is strength

... that supposedly holds so dearly and so steadfastly to the teachings of a certain book (the Bible) subvert and change that book? Isn't that not only hypocritical but heretical? Going so far as to write their own unique version?

I've often wondered about this myself and the only reason I can think of is that the "Governing Body" believes so much in their own interpretations and whims that they would change the bible itself to make their beliefs jive with it. I mean, Russell started a new religion because he wouldn't believe in Hell, "For the time will come when people will not tolerate sound doctrine but, following their own desires and insatiable curiosity, will accumulate teachers and will stop listening to the truth and will be diverted to myths." (2 Tim. 4:3,4, NAB). The JW religion is based upon an unhealthy focus on armageddon and the end of the world and an unlearned and incapable leadership who believe that they are God's channel. I guess they truly believe that the bible had been corrupted, especially in the matter of the tetragrammation not being in the NT or other matters.

• mizpah
    mizpah

Any organization that claims to have "the truth" can teach, believe and change whatever it wants without considering the double standards and contraditions. Of course, the devise that the Watchtower uses is the "new light" coming from "God's organization." Jehovah's Witnesses don't even realize that some of this "new light" is merely "old light" rehashed. Like good robots, they accept whatever the Watchtower teaches.

Some of the fault lies with Jehovah's Witnesses. They willingly give up their ability to think and to act. But God holds each individual responsible in the judgment. The plea that they "were only obeying orders" will not stand.

• robhic
    robhic

Ignorance is Strength wrote (in part):

The JW religion is based upon an unhealthy focus on armageddon and the end of the world and an unlearned and incapable leadership who believe that they are God's channel. I guess they truly believe that the bible had been corrupted, especially in the matter of the tetragrammation not being in the NT or other matters.

I did some research on that very thing within the last couple of days. By their own admission in WT publications, the WTS admits that Jehovah, Yahweh or YHWH does not appear in any of the Greek manuscripts. As was shown in this other thread, the Kingdom Interlinear in its foreward, the March 1, 1991 WT pg. 28 and the Insight book on pg. 9 all say that the Greek scriptures contain no such names.

As far as the other comments, I agree 100% with you. The unhealthy focus on armageddon is morbid and (in my opinion) a source of negativity and depression. I say this because a woman I was involved with was so pre-occupied with the End of Days that I really think it had a tangible, psycho-somatic effect on her. It is the central point of her existence, to her detriment. The WTB&TS ruined a perfectly good woman!

Robert

• Panda
    Panda

Robert, I think that the cult mentality snookers people in by claiming to have special knowledge about a book people call holy. They impart this secret knowledge to you . Just the simple stuff first. Things you'd never heard like the name Jehovah. Then there are scriptures which if you read them correctly and in this order you'll know when god will destroy all those who reject this special knowledge. From JimJones to David Koresh to JehovahsWitnesses ... these people have so much invested in their belief system of special knowledge from the holy spirit annointed leaders, that everything else must be wrong. It just has to be wrong because now you are one of the chosen people.

That's why getting out is so important. No one should be able to fool you again.

Panda

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

Rob,

it was the Kingdom Interlinear's translation of Rev.9 and 10 that took me out of the Borg. What did they think no one would ever actually READ it, in their own publication?

see my deconversion story for more detail:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/9/49422/1.ashx

but after I left the Borg, I came to realize that the Bible is just a story book anyway, and it is not the crime I thought it was to tamper with it.....it is still a crime, but it is a historical crime, not a religious one to me.

Ravyn

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

*laughs so hard at what teejay said she falls of her computer chair and bruises her spleen*

Ohh dude! That was too perfect!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit