Welcome to the board,

I like your quote and so true.

qwerty

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

• LDH
    LDH

AHHH a trip down memory lane...

The first year I reg pio'd, I was 17. I did not employ any of the time counting techniques mentioned here-I was a real good girl.Time started at 9:30 stopped at 12, started again at 12:30 stopped at 4, unless no meetings then time stopped at 7.

What an unbeleivable way for a 17 year old to spend their day.

The last day of the year I had only 2 and 1/2 hours to get in. The only people who showed up for service on that hot afternoon were my sister, myself, a young brother 23 or so,and a 65 year old brother who 'lorded it over us' all because of his age. We had to ride with him. I told him I only needed so and so hours, and I wanted to go straight and get it started.

Well first he INSISTED on making one of his useless back calls. Then he insisted on going alone to the door (something about the dog didn't like strangers). The three of us young reg. pios sat in his 1977 Ford grenada in the blazing sun for three hours. When he came out, he was laughing. I was crying, I told him to take me home immediately. My sister and the young brother were also very upset.

When I got home and told my father what happened, he INSISTED I count that afternoon as time. That really freaked me out, I thought Jehovah would think I was 'cheating him'. I refused to work in field service with that brother for the next six months.

Moral of the story--Jehovah didn't make up those stupid ass rules for counting time anyway, and when humans try to 'quantify or qualify' your spirituality, look at the end result.

• Seeker
    Seeker

Enjoyed the original post, even though it's clearly it was written in jest. Not that those techniques aren't used, for they absolutely are! It's just that the tone of that message is one of cynicism, and all "faithful" JWs will at least TRY to sound sincere even if inwardly they are being just that cynical. My guess is that this message was originally written by an ex-JW as if it were written by a current JW, for a joke.

As for the techniques, it just goes to show what happens when man-made rules are instituted. You lose track of the whole purpose of preaching, and start looking for legalistic ways to get your time while accomplishing nothing of value.

• Lindy
    Lindy

Hi Seeker!
    You said: "it just goes to show what happens when man-made rules are instituted"
    Like cheating on taxes, and we know that JWs never do that either! lol

Lindy (Antique)

• trevor
    trevor

I had all these tricks and more up my trouser leg, when
    I was a pioneer. In the end I decided that every day that
    I set aside for ministry was worth 8 hours plus evening time.
    That was was I recorded and I dispensed with all the tricks.

• Jang
    Jang

Seeker, The original post came from a JW board ..... it was written in jest, true, but it was JW's who wrote it. That's why I took a copy of it at the time because it was so much like what some of them did

I got a few more of that board too but have to find the disk I saved them on ...

JanG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit