Part of Growing Up - Saying Goodbye to Invisible Friends?

by doubtfull1799 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I can't even stand it when people don't reply when you speak to them. Talking to an invisible person who never replied frustrated me for years until I woke up one day and realised there's no God.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Good point Xanthippe, people who don't reply are not worth talking to again but with prayer to God there comes a time when you realize was no one there in the first place.

When I was young I had a bible study trying to recruit a school friend and he said that prayer is like talking to yourself, it doesn't go above your head. I really understood that he was right but stubbornly persisted in trying to be a good JW. Stupid or what?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think that is why I only really grew up in my late 50's, after I had left the JW SCAM and finally concluded there is no god.

Once that happens you take responsibility for all things to do with yourself, and more.

Also Clear Thinking becomes possible, Rational Evidence Based thinking of course.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

Why is Jehovah invisible ?

Is it because he couldn't get any clothes to fit him?

• Perry
    Perry

If you think that you had an imaginary friendship with God as a JW, you are right. .

For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life. And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

Outside of the New Covenant (the one we were denied access to) there is no friendship with God, real or imagined.

he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink it, all of you;
    For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

- Mt 25:26 & 27

• S K Ditta
    S K Ditta
    Outside of the New Covenant (the one we were denied access to) there is no friendship with God, real or imagined.

Hello Mr. Perry,

How did Abraham have friendship with God, before the Law or the sacrifice of Christ?

I ask in sincerity, and not impertinence.

Thank you.

• Perry
    Perry

Good question!

Abraham believed God and it was credited to him as righteousness.

As JW's, we did not believe God, but stubbornly clung to our families and man-made (WT) idols instead of believing God.

Abraham on the other hand left his family and his fathers' idols and believed that God had a plan for him when he was asked to separate himself from both of those and go to a different land.

It makes no difference as to the historical timing of Jesus sacrifice for the payment of the death penalty on each of our behalf, because without believing God, we wont accept it.

Had Abraham been alive after Jesus death, he would have believed God when he told him to "eat" and "drink" for the forgiveness of sins.

We all here disbelieved God in regards to his instructions concerning the forgiveness of our sins and refused the New Covenant, and hence could not be friends with God.

Belief is a prerequisite for friendship/obedience.

• tor1500
    tor1500

Hi All,

As always good replies....Growing up...where does one start with growing up.....it's so individual....some folks never grow up....as everyone knows I have a story....but will spare you ( I hear you saying.....thank goodness...she is so long winded)...I'm a witness...not born in....I'm considered a newbie, so they think I'm too new to know...if they only knew what I know and they don't...or they do but don't...

I think we all are a child at heart...but that's ok as long as you take care of your responsibilities....I think people like being a witness because they leave their spirituality to someone else...they like to have their lives all neat and clean...look at some of the friends books, bible, and lit....they take care of it, like it's the holy grail...Witnesses are little children that never grew up....they just dress in adult clothing...They love living in the future...that's why the majority of them are depressed....they do nothing for no one, only if they are seen....

There is a common trait among witnesses.....it's a need to be validated...it's a need for attention....again, I'm a witness...and many of the friends come from homes that are cold...oh yeah, they study and do all the right things..they raise their kids...but all of this is served on a cold plate...

Most people are self-centered to some degree...but religious people don't want to die...believe in heaven/paradise...why? Because their self centeredness is taken to another step....do you know that most witnesses, no matter how humble they may appear...they really deep inside believe they are magnificent....so wonderful that how could the new world/heaven be without them...

I believe in God, why, because for me it keeps me humble...not thinking it's all about me...I pray to God a lot, but mostly I just thank him... I pray to God and sometimes it doesn't happen or not at that moment...but while I'm waiting on God...I'm living in doors..something we all take for granted...I'm not trying to convert anyone...but I appreciate the air I breathe....the things in life I have...this could be God or not...but whatever I'm thankful...

We all have to grow up...we all have to take responsibility for ourselves... we can't blame the org. for everything...no one can tell me that when you were a witness that your conscience didn't prick you, when you heard from the stage...don't donate to this charity...give us your money...yet, never hear that they helped anyone else but a witness, yet they say they do, but in the videos of disaster areas, only JW's.... you have to have a self centered gene to sit there and not say ....it's wrong....even though you stayed, it never occurred to folks...that's it's wrong...

I think it's up to the person what they want to believe...but in this life no one promised anyone fair..we don't always get what you want....what we go thru in life develops our character....what type of adults would we be if we asked and got everything we wanted....what type of person is that...A CHILD...Children ask all day long and we adults don't give them everything they ask for because everything they ask for either they don't need or it's not good for them....and when children don't get what they want what do they do....they throw a tantrum and say, I hate you....because a child can't process that they can't have everything they ask for...fast forward to adulthood, we can't have everything we ask for....

We are all responsible for our lives...just because we are or were witnesses you were not supposed to give over your entire being to the org....the word is balance....

Religion/spirituality...believing in God, not believing God....what is our responsibility to others, do you really need an org. to tell you how to act....

Nothing wrong with believing in something...if we didn't have God, folks have a need to believe in something...even those in the remotest part of the world, where religion hasn't been yet, they have their own Gods'...it's something that is in us that need to have direction...Man has a need to believe something outside himself...some believe in the Tooth Fairy, Sand Man, Santa Claus, rosary, self help books...anything to help them through this life.....

Religion ain't too bad...the problem is the people...how they react to religion....they take it all out of context...then try to rule you ....I've been in other churches...of course they preach heaven and hell, but they also give sermons that are so thought provoking...they make you look at yourself...as you know many don't want to take responsibility for themselves.....The org. made me do it...Church is wonderful, there are so many non-denominational churches, and they just preach love of one another and God...but JW's don't know that, never took the time find out what others believe, so they let someone else tell them about someone else...sad....

It's ok to be a child at heart, but to be adults when needed...that's how you have fun in life....even being an adult you can still enjoy life and see life through a childs eyes...meaning..don't let life jade you too much...have some fun...

Tor

• sir82
    sir82

This point is beautifully made in the (animated) film Inside Out.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

It's hard for some to let go of the invisible friend because of the best seller book and all the shrines across the world dedicated in some way to the invisible friend.

Perry even believes the literalness of the Abraham and Invisible Friend story, and dismisses all the literalness of any evil coming from the invisible friend in that same book. Invisible friend can't possibly allow murder and kidnapping of little girls to be raised as sex slaves. He doesn't care if it's in the same book he uses as evidence of Invisible Friend's existence.

As long as people like Perry belittle non-belief and insist that only ignorant belief in Invisible Friend will make a person good, he won't be put away.

Most people know that Sherlock Holmes and Luke Skywalker were fictional people. Virtually everyone outgrows belief in Santa Claus, but they cling to this Invisible Friend.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit