What do the 'Pillars of the Congregation' think of new light

by Gadget 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Every JW I ever knew ate up the New Light like pigeons eating bread crumbs throw to them. They would all swarm around and eat every morsel up as quickly as possible and then eagerly await the next hand full.

• minimus
    minimus

There are different types of "pillars". Some would NEVER question ANYTHING the "slave" says. Others would do so only privately. As Amazing says, before 1980, there were those that were more vocal in their disagreements and they might've been considered "strong in the truth". This "pillar" would teach whatever he was supposed to, with the understanding that even if I didn't see it 100% as the Society did, as long as I never expressed it, no one would know.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    No Elder or others ever felt concern at her opinions ... she was just accepted the way she was ...

I don't know when that changed, but I can remember disagreeing with elders lots of times and it was okay. Once I got into an argument out in service with the PO about 1975. He knew Armageddon was coming October 1, 1975. I didn't. I also remember you could disagree with beliefs, as long as you were discreet.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

mizpah wrote:

But try to imagine a person who has committed 30, 40 or 50 years to the organization and you may begin to sense the overwhelming difficultlies they have!

Been there; my whole family is there still, and so am I, except for my mind and heart. For me, this was the breaking point: I found out they were lying about the sex abuse scandal. When anyone, especially a religious authority, lies repeatedly, run for the exits. Not only were they lying, but they were managing information and df'ing the whistleblowers.

That was it for me. It does take a while for the fact to sink in that you have spent your life in a dead end, religiously speaking. But I do feel that it was also what I learned from the WT that pushed me to leave it: they pay lip service to the idea that if, when you examine your religion, you find hypocrisy and falsehood, you MUST leave it to please God. Guess what? I found it.

I HATE being lied to and will not stay in any relationship where I am manipulated. In business, I expect to be lied to and work around it. But come on! The lies they tell are manifold, and not just about chronology. To lie about a core, jugular issue like child sexual abuse is not the trademark of a godlike culture; I fear rather the opposite is true.

• Gadget
    Gadget

Thanks for you replies, it sounds like this sort of thing is quite common. So another question, how many jws believe everything they hear from the platform, and how many just take the bits they like and privately ignore the rest?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit