What do the 'Pillars of the Congregation' think of new light

by Gadget 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Gadget
    Gadget

I was reading a post on another thread about a 70yr old sister who's husband was a pillar of the circuit in times past now just drowned out most of what she heard from the platform as someones personal oppinion and served Jehovah the way she felt was right. Is this typical of someone who has been in the org for that long, the difference being that she felt comfortable enough with the people concerned to actually voice it? What about the people who joined in the 20s and 30s and have seen all the new light coming in over the years, has any asked them how different it all is now to the religion they joined?

Gadget

• mizpah
    mizpah

Gadget:

I've thought a lot about this one. My wife and I left the organization when we could no longer accept some of the teachings. We began to question "this generation" even before the "new light" gave it a new meaning. We had also been disturbed by the unchristian conduct that we observed in the congregtions we attended, particularly by the elders. Since this was not a uncommon experience among our peers, we have often wondered why they could stay in an organization that was obviously worng.

I've come to the conclusion that many stayed because of emotional ties they have with other JWs and the organization. Many left another religion to become one of Jehovah's Witnesses. They had to sacrifice all past associations with "worldly people." They also have committed a good part of their lives to the Watchtower cause. To leave, they would have to admit to themselves that they were wrong again. They would "have to start all over again." Some are too old and too tired to do this. On this site we've seen how many young people struggle with the decision to leave. And they have all the advantages of youth. But try to imagine a person who has committed 30, 40 or 50 years to the organization and you may begin to sense the overwhelming difficultlies they have!

• willyloman
    willyloman

I posted this in another thread the other day, but since it's been mentioned above by Gadget, I am including in here because it's pertinent to the thread topic:

Oops! Edited because I just saw the rule that prohibits reposting a comment on another thread. If you want to read the whole thing, here's the link:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/58167/862423/post.ashx#862423

• proplog2
    proplog2

There really isn't any new light. They've been standing in place sifting through the Isaiah book for a couple years. A year rehashing Daniel. And several years of The Jesus book.

They're affraid of studying the Revelation book again because of its pre-2000 perspective. But we got a book of maps this summer. That will be real handy if you ever end up in the Middle East.

Let's face it - Fred is Dead. The Watchtower has been without an oracle for quite some time now.

The old ones (80 plus) just keep saying that they never thought it was going to go on this long. Remember that pillars are all you have left after the roof comes crashing down. They are a silent testimony to what once was.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I know. And soon even the pillars will disappear. Wow.

CZAR

• OICU8it2
    OICU8it2
    The old ones (80 plus) just keep saying that they never thought it was going to go on this long. Remember that pillars are all you have left after the roof comes crashing down. They are a silent testimony to what once was

Excellent analogy. One could almost write a song with the terminology. Thanks

• Amazing
    Amazing

When I became a JW in the late 1960s, I knew a Reg Pio sister who was a Bible Student during Russell's time ... in fact she met Chucky when she was a very young woman. She was a full time colporter (equalivalent of a Pioneer) and remained such until nearly the time she died at age 101.

Her name was Bessie ... and we affectionately called her "Bossie." She was opinionated, and felt quite free to speak her mind. She did not like Rutherford ... and she often would enlighten us about the change in doctrine over time ... some changes she liked and some she did not like and plainly said so ...

She is the one that clued me into the fact that during Russell's time, the Bible Students believed in a Two-Classs heavenly hope, where the Bride of Christ (144,000) was acompanied by the Great Crowd into heaven a the Bride's Maid class. She always felt that the Society should have kept that class in their doctrine. No Elder or others ever felt concern at her opinions ... she was just accepted the way she was ...

She dies in the late 1970s, before the Great House Cleaning and Disfellowshipping at Bethel in 1980 ... I often wondered how she would have fared under the rule of Dictator Jaracz.

• ignorance is strength
    ignorance is strength

I remember an older guy who made a comment at the watchtower study and used the word crucified instead of impaled. People looked suprised and the elder took a big gulp but nothin' became of it because he was old. (and an elder)

• Ravyn2
    Ravyn2

My schizophrenic, anointed, elder father always told me that 'we knew better' but because 'we were special' and smarter and more mature than others that it was not our place to 'stumble others with the real Truth' and that others could not handle the 'real Truth' so what the mags and talks said was for the spiritual babes and the majority. We were not the majority--we were special and knew better. He used to use the cliche 'give em an inch--they'll take a mile' all the time.

Ravyn

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

My father was an elder, pioneer, on all the committees, etc... sometimes he agreed with the new light, other times he disagreed with it. Het let us know that there were areas where he disagreed with the WTS, but he refused to talk about them.

Most experienced JWs I've known were quite understanding of the idea that someone would have 'personal ideas', as long as they didn't go around talking about it in front of 'weak' ones. And of course, as long as the holder of the 'personal ideas' was zealous in works, particularly field service.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit