JW 'urban legends'

by Steve Lowry 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

I was thinking about some of the old JW urban legends that we grew up with and believed in as JW’s. Most of the ones I remember revolved around stories about demons, and JW’s being "attacked" when they would do something wrong. Some of these ‘legends’ scared the crap outta me when I was little. Guess that was the intended purpose anyway. Here’s a few:

Lady was in bed reading material not approved by the Society and suddenly she was yanked out of bed with legs pulled apart, only to be thrown out of her second story window.

While a guy was reading some unapproved literature late one night, he heard voices outside his bedroom window. He looked out the window to see dozens of semi-transparent faces looking back at him.

I knew an older JW lady who told a story about how one night as she began to lie down for a night’s sleep, she happened to see a purple velvet Cross lying on her pillow. She prayed to Jehovah, and the Cross disappeared!

That’s all I can remember, but I know there were many more of these kinds of stories. Can anyone remember anymore?

• jgnat
  • Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

The only one I remember was story from the platform at the assembly about the couple in service gettting charged by the dog and the dog being magically stopped in midair, as if "by an angel".

Even my dad didn't buy that one.

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

ARMAGEDDON !!!

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

we used to have one family that always claimed they were being attacked by demons, I heard story after story, but they never moved out of that house. Makes you wonder, anything for attention.

• Pepper
    Pepper

I remember the one about the dog, man we were dupped. Pepper

• berten
    berten

Here are a few I can remember:
    A JW-couple is staying in Rome,one day they visit the Vatican.
    (The Vatican is not even open to tourists so this story is definitely a hoax)
    and get locked in after closing time.While trying to find the exit they suddenly
    hear a loud shriek and see a naked woman running around followed by some priests.
    The priests manage to catch her and drag her away into some secret
    entrance.The JW-couple finally find the way to their hotel (How they did so is not known)
    and call the police.The investigating officer tells them to leave Rome immediately
    and not tell anyone what happened.Naturally the JW's over here lapped this story up since
    it put the Catholics in such a bad daylight :-)

Another one is about a dog called "Jehovah" and it's owner who was so fed up with JW's
    that he set the dog on them saying "Jehovah,attack!".One day the dog magically turned
    on it's boss and bit him to death.

Yet another one is about three JW's in some unspecified South American country where
    the government had banned the JW's.One day they where doing their usual preaching rounds
    when a thunderstorm forced them to hide for cover.Lightning hit one of the JW's and killed
    him.It turned out he was a government spy who worked himself up into the hierarchy.
    "Proof" that Jehover takes care of his people.Yeah,right :-)

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

I heard a story about a pioneer sister who started a study with a woman who was a psychic, and she was having trouble getting rid of her Tarrot cards ( like she would throw them away and they would end up back in her house ), so they decided to burn the cards. When the sister threw the cards in the fire, the cards made a horrible screaming sound as they burned ( which took a long time according to the story ). I really believed this one. I was VERY frightened of the demons as a JW. Now I look back and laugh at it all.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    A JW-couple is staying in Rome,one day they visit the Vatican.
    (The Vatican is not even open to tourists so this story is definitely a hoax)

Even if the Vatican were open to tours, most JW's won't even walk into a church building, even when there's not a service going on, because they're afraid the demons will jump out of the pews and get them. But this couple just decides one day to take a sightseeing tour of the heart of Satan's empire? Yeah, right!!

• benext
    benext

When the movie "The Exocist" was first released we were told that some Witnesses who went to see it tried to leave but were unable to get up from their seats somehow held down by some force until the movie ended.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit