research article on Jehovah's Witnesses

by Stephen Cox 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Stephen Cox
    Stephen Cox

Dear Friends,

This is to announce a long research article that I have published in the latest (Sept-Oct) issue of "Liberty" magazine. ("Liberty" is a libertarian intellectual journal and is available at Barnes and Noble, Borders, etc., or from PO Box 1181, Port Townsend WA 98368. Its price is $5.) The article concerns the conflict between the Watchtower Society and the Internet and incorporates a history and analysis of the Society and its opposition.

I would be happy to hear comments, favorable or unfavorable, from readers of this article.

Stephen Cox, Professor, Literature, University of California, San Diego

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Thank you Professor Cox for the heads up on your article. This discussion board is primarily ex-Jehovah's Witnesses, but I'm sure many here will have a keen interest in your article. I will be looking for it myself.

Kind Regards

Skipper

• berylblue
    berylblue

Professor Cox,

Looking forward to reading it.

• Rescripting_myself
    Rescripting_myself

Any chance of having the article on the web soon so those of us in the third world who cannot access Barnes ... can get a chance of reading it? I live in Nairobi, Kenya.

Rescipting_myself

• shotgun
    shotgun

Greetings Mr Cox

You said

This is to announce a long research article that I have published in the latest (Sept-Oct) issue of "Liberty" magazine. ("Liberty" is a libertarian intellectual journal

Much like our well researched and informative Watchtower and its scholarly companion the Awake magazine...just joshing professor.

I'll look forward to the article...Thanks for the heads up...BTW do you visit the forum often, and if so has it helped in your research?

Shotgun

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Sample magazine FYI

http://www.libertymagazine.org/

Professor: How would you like us to contact you???

• Lutece
    Lutece

I'm heading to B&N this evening, I'll look for it, thanks for sharing. I used to be a witness and a couple years before I disassociated myself I started a newspaper column about using the internet. The witnesses always said I was learning "bad stuff" online and they blame it for causing my doubts. I can't wait to read your article.

Anne

• Stephen Cox
    Stephen Cox

Dear Friends,

Just a note to thank you all for your kind responses. Let me try to answer some of your questions.

First, I'm sorry that my article is not yet on a website, and I understand the frustration one feels when something that one wants to read isn't yet available in that way. "Liberty" magazine has got to have its run on the newstand first; then I can see about posting my work somewhere.

Second, I have been observing this and other boards, and a great deal of my article is about their nature, history, and effects. The article presents what I think is a very favorable view of them.

Third, I do want people's responses to my article, and there are a number of ways to send them. Certainly they can be posted here, so that others can see them, too. They can be sent as letters to the editor to "Liberty" or as letters to be forwarded to me from "Liberty." Or they can be snailmailed directly to me at Humanities 0306, UCSD, La Jolla CA 92093-0306. I'm just a little reluctant to give out my email address in public, because I've been getting enormous amounts of spam lately.

With best wishes,

Stephen Cox

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Professor Cox, I am assuming you are the same person that is quoted on the back cover of the paperback In Search of Christian Freedom, by Ray Franz. Perhaps you could illuminate the board about how this came to pass and what directed your attention to Jehovah's Witnesses.

• Valis
    Valis

Hi Stephen, welcome to the forum. Also, thank you for your work in regards JWs. I look forward to reading your work.

I was also curious how long you lurked here. When I first came here it was too tempting not to speak up...You have a lot more self control than I do...*LOL* And greetings from one prof to another..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit