Comments You Will Not Hear at the 9-7-03 WT Study

by blondie 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blondie
    blondie

Gopher, father-to-be,
    To a JW, apparently the most important thing is to appear to follow the WT Society on issues like this (truthfulness) and to NOT GET CAUGHT when you don't follow the Society.

They should think on this:

(MSG) Ezekiel

9:9-10

He said, "The guilt of Israel and Judah is enormous. The land is swollen with murder. The city is bloated with injustice. They all say, "GOD has forsaken the country. He doesn't see anything we do.' 10 Well, I do see, and I'm not feeling sorry for any of them. They're going to pay for what they've done."

Yxl1

(I always think of Mr. Mxyzptlk, Superman’s bud, not that you are small and flying around and always getting me into messes)

I kept thinking about Metatron’s recent post on another thread…

And so did I. I will be posting what came to mind as I read it.

Robert,

I’m glad that a non-JW can appreciate my reviews.

I ain't even a JW and I like 'em!

Thanks for that comment on one of my favorite scriptures. While I do not classify all JWs as swine, I do consider them individually before wasting my time and heart talking to them.

Winston

, I call on all the hands raised and try to never miss one. This is a case where there is an "interchange of encouragement" and I need yours probably more than you need mine.

I started these reviews for myself when I was going to meetings, Winston, and I was hard pressed some times not to give one of my "comments." I did well enough skating of the edge and giving many a conductor cause to pause. I find using the Bible and making sure the WTS had commented that way (they do say some profound things but don’t practice them) saved my a…

My Latin man,

this WT article does not address how the Org keeps the truth about child abuse cases from the authorities

This is the introductory article of 2 on this topic. This just lays the foundation. I put a little more "meat" into with my comments.

You will find that the WTS almost never directly addresses any issues like difficulties dealing with child abuse in the WT. They save that for assemblies and conventions, and even then they are vague, saying how Satan uses the media to attack them with falsehoods. Child abuse is not the only issue the WTS is dealing with today. So it becomes a generic comment. Mostly it is addressed in the congregations through visits from the CO and letters read at the Service Meeting, a meeting the public is less likely to attend.

Welcome willy,

Blondie: This is a delightful series you've got going. Much more instructive than the live version on Sundays at a KH near you. Thanks for all the effort. You ARE making a difference!

I am blushing now! I don’t have to try to hard to be better than the KH version. I do want to make a difference.

OHD,

Good quote,

To quote Jack Nickolson's character in the movie, "[We] can't handle truth!" When people among us start speaking the uncomfortable truth we have only one response: to shut them up one way or another.

Isn’t that what the Pharisees/scribes did to Jesus?

It’s like they’re dead vampires that shrivel up and die when the light of day shines on them. They are the living dead that suck the life out of us.

Blondie
  • yxl1
    yxl1
    I always think of Mr. Mxyzptlk, Superman’s bud

I've finally met a woman who knows the minor characters in the Superman universe. I'm in love ;- ) yxl1 is actually my username at work. Kinda wish I had though of using Mxyzptlk though....

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, yxl1, I am a comic reader from the past. They are too expensive now. It was different when my dad spent his money on them and let us read them when he was done. I can remember the stacks. Too bad we just threw them out...arrgh!

I'm surprised the WTS has never come out with a comic...oh that's right, they did, the WT.

Blondie

• willyloman
    willyloman
    Happy:
    It's real hard being a Witness these days. We are encouraged to read and meditate on the Bible, the word of truth. But when we see that the Bible condemns us, we shut that truth out, just like the Israelites did.

To quote some old Western movie dialog: Your words have iron!

I liked this, too:

Why can't we handle it when truth exposes our inconsistences, our failed prophecies, our grabbing at spiritually insignificant things to make big deals of them?
  • wheres caleb?
    wheres caleb?

I enjoy reading your posts Blondie. As I reviewed that article, I became angry thinking about the rebuttals that I wish I could tell them. Your comments were sufficient to put my feelings in perspective. It's good to know that others are seeing the same things. Excellent breakdown and scripture references. I look forward to reading more.

• blondie
    blondie
    Why can't we handle it when truth exposes our inconsistences, our failed prophecies, our grabbing at spiritually insignificant things to make big deals of them?

Great comment, willy, eh? But Oh Happy Day said that (smile). But it is that old principle, strain out the gnat and gulp down the camel brought into today’s world.

The WTS are magicians with their ability to misdirect our attention away from the delusions they create.

Hi where’s caleb?

Interesting user name.

It's good to know that others are seeing the same things

You will find many kindred spirits here, WC. Thanks for the compliments. Many here do the same type of research. I have and still benefit from their insight.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep The woods are lovely, dark and deep,

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep,

And miles to go before I sleep...

Blondie
  • JCanon
    JCanon

The truth that I've found is that lots of "inconsistencies" and "failed prophecies" are due to the fault of misinterpretation and lack of expertise in examining all the evidence on the part of the people who are claiming failed prophecies and inconsistencies.

Case in point the chronology of the Neo-Babylonian period. The VAT4956 has two dates for the 37th year of Nebuchadnezzar, 511BCE and 568BCE. That proves that period was revised, which was customary back then and easy to do. Yet few want to face that possibility let alone that reality because of what it will do to the "academic" world at all these universities who have presented another chronology. But that chronology is specifically the same dating as the Bible provides, proving the Jews kept accurate and truthful records compared to the Persians. So the perceived "inconsistency" depends on how up-to-date your references and information is. As far as "failed prophecies" goes, that too is subjective. For instance I believe the dated "great tribulation" was to occur to "Judea" and that's a reference to the resettled Jews in Europe, primarily Poland. So that prophecy was fulfilled when the Holocaust occurred shortly after which the Jews were reinstated in the Promised Land. That fulfills chronology as well as the prophetic context that shortly after this great tribulation the "end of the gentile times" would occur, that is, the Jews would regain control over Palestine. But if you don't have that specific interpretation or the correct chronology--looking for the wrong thing at the wrong time in the wrong place--then, of course YOUR prophecies will seem to have failed, but in fact, the failure is on the part of your misinterpretation, no the prophecy itself.

So I agree with Nicholson. When the hard TRUTH is something that rocks the boat, people want you to shut up about it--very few people are TRULY interested in TRUTH...that is, in the "unpopular" truth. If "truth" just happens to be consistent with what is politically correct at the moment then it's accepted; if not, they don't want to hear it. In the meantime, embracing darkness and half truth is the way of the modern world. The outer appearance is all that matters, the facade is more important than the substance.

JC

• blondie
    blondie
    When the hard TRUTH is something that rocks the boat, people want you to shut up about it--

JCanon, that has proven especially true about child abuse cases.

You can tell I'm not much about prophecies. I feel that it is what people do with their lives now that tell more about their truthfulness.

Blondie

• minimus
    minimus

You've got to hand it to the Watchtower Society! They have succeeded in having JW's believe that that it's alright to lie if another is not entitled to information. Where does this bullcrap come from??? They convince their people to lie! They say it's either ok or not really even a lie because they've conviently changed the definition Webster gave. Now that's *alls! And the faithful believe! And that's pathetic!

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, minimus, if the WTS said a cowpie was a chocolate chip cookie, 99% of JWs would eat it.

It is a version of the Emperor's New Clothes.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit