Movie-goers can be fickle (great movies that should've enjoyed huge box-office success)

by LoveUniHateExams 32 Replies latest social entertainment

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I agree that “The Thing” was a great movie, for that genre. I didn’t know it was a flop - well it wasn't exactly a flop, strictly speaking.

Its budget was $15 million; it made $19 million at the US box office.

But it should have made tons more money. At the time, most critics panned it.

Remember the great minimalist music in the film?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnFc7D0ZoCc

Well, the film's score was nominated for a Razzie Award - WTF?!

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

I didn’t know that LUHE. I only ever saw it on video, and I agree it was a good film.

• Giordano
    Giordano

The original...... The Thing (from From Another World 1951) was a great film for me when I was 7 years old. Talk about pissing one's pants. Totally crowded movie theater (25 cents.. two movies 20 Cartoons). You never saw The Thing just a shape embedded in ice, an arm or a hand. The thing was in a flying saucer that crashed landed in the Arctic where there was an outpost.

They find the Thing buried in the ice and bring it back to the outpost in a block of ice. Some one some how covers it with an electric blanket and for a long time no one checks on it or the guard falls asleep. Needless to say it disappears and the hunt is on. Only......who is hunting who.

Years later as a devoted fan of the TV show Gun Smoke....... I saw the movie again and oh my god I recognized who the Thing was! It was Marshall Dillon played by James Arness.

This was not a high tech production here's a shot of the scientists measuring the size of the buried Saucer.

Robert Cornthwaite, John Dierkes, Paul Frees, Dewey Martin, Douglas Spencer, Kenneth Tobey, and James Young in The Thing from Another World (1951)

The Thing from Another World Poster
    Scientists and American Air Force officials fend off a bloodthirsty alien organism while at a remote arctic outpost.

Directors:

Christian Nyby, Howard Hawks (uncredited)
    More photo's:
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@Giordano - I've never seen The Thing From Another World (1951) but it's supposed to be good.

I've seen John Carpenter saying he likes it - it was playing on the TV in Halloween when Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis) was babysitting the two kids.

Incidentally, Howard Hawks was one of the critics who panned The Thing (1982).

• TD
    TD

Vertigo (1958) got a very lukewarm response (Just barely broke even) which is a little surprising in retrospect. The pace is a little off, but other than that it's classic Hitchcock and (IMHO) better than some of his other movies. (Rope comes to mind)

Fight Club (1999) didn't do well. It's definitely on the weird side, but it's one of those movies where the more you watch it, the more things you notice and the more entertaining it is.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Geena Davis as a secret agent with amnesia in The Long Kiss Goodnight. (1996) I don't know anyone who's actually seen it although it didn't do too badly at the box office. Love this film, especially when schoolteacher Davis starts remembering who she really and how to throw knives. That line when she says to her daughter "life is pain, get used to it".

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

LoveUniHateExams-Fright Night- It's still hard to believe that the cute girlfriend (who looked so SMOKIN' ! in that negligee!) is the same actress who would later be Marcy D'Arcy in "Married with Children"!

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Kingdom of heaven, was a great move and it really showed how religious leaders are. John carter was another good movie that didn’t do to well at the box office.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@Captain Schmideo2 - yes, I definitely had a thing for Amy Peterson when I was about 13.

She looked quite cute like this:

Better like this:

And wow!

^^^^ if you pause it you can see her nipples.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Td beat me to one i had in mind, “fight club”. Fatastic movie, even after the big reveal you can rewatch and enjoy more and more, with great performances by norton and pitt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit