Movie-goers can be fickle (great movies that should've enjoyed huge box-office success)

by LoveUniHateExams 32 Replies latest social entertainment

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@Sparky - I agree, I think The Dead Zone is a great film.

For me, it's up there with David Cronenberg's other great films.

Christopher Walken's performance was very good - he should've won some sort of award.

According to Wiki the film was moderately successful in terms of tickets sold ...

• sparky1
    sparky1

"The ice..............is gonna break!"

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

The Star Wars prequel trilogy

Get rid of Jar Jar, and I'd agree.

• TD
    TD

Not cinematic masterpieces but....

I enjoyed the The Chronicles of Riddick (2004) because of the imagination of the story and the complexity of the sets. The world they created was like Doom meets the Roman Empire. ---It was a horrible flop.

Big Trouble In Little China (1986) was similar. I thought it was imaginative and entertaining. --No worse and maybe even a little better than other movies of its type. It flopped.

Both of these movies eventually attained cult followings, so apparently I'm not alone here.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@TD - I used to love Big Trouble In Little China when I was a kid. Watching it now, I can see it's not a masterpiece. It's a fun film, not a great one.

But you're right it completely flopped when it should have made a healthy profit.

It's fun and entertaining.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

The 'Burbs

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno

Dirty Work is one of my favorite comedy films of all time.

"I've never seen so many dead hookers in all of my life!"

"We didn't have those fancy birth control methods back then...you know, like pulling out."

Classic Norm MacDonald style of dry humor mixed with cheesy one-liners. Don Rickles makes a cameo appearance.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Agreed, vidiot.

I thought the The Burbs was hilarious and underrated.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

I agree that “The Thing” was a great movie, for that genre. I didn’t know it was a flop; I am not a movie buff.

There are a few movies I thought were excellent, but seem to get little mention. One that comes to mind is Ronin. I thought that was a superb movie, but I have never heard anyone ever mention it.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

How about the original Planet Of The Apes with Chuck Heston, or Robinson Crusoe On Mars ,The Day The Earth Stood Still, with M. Rennie or Forbidden Planet Leslie Neilson ,and the Colour Purple nominated for twelve Oscars and never received one ,shame on the Academy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit