How long do you think being a JW will affect you?

by Adam 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Add me to the list of those unlucky enough to be born into the JW deleterious ideological pile of mental pooh. Regardless, I've been out now for over 20 years and while every member of my family and extended family disowned me for all time, I'm still enjoying my life. I do know however that there are still scars from my experience. I wish I could have let go of all the anger and hate I had towards the Organization years before I did. I wish I had gotten therapy years before I did. I no longer have the slightest fear of getting zapped by the heavenly Boogie-man but I do still find it difficult to "belong" or to feel I belong anywhere. Fellow Borg survivors are an oasis in the desert, but it is one damn big desert out there. Other than that, and needing to get laid right now, I'm doing rather good.

Skipper

• heathen
    heathen

I think the small time I spent as a study and the reading of alot of their literature will affect me the rest of my life . It was by associating with them that I came to the realization that I will never allow myself to be manipulated by religionists again .

• Robotnomore
    Robotnomore

I'm another one of the the lucky ones that was born into the borg. I spent all of my life and raised 2 of 3 children in it. Lost all of my family including the 2 children. So without a doubt, it will affect us the rest of our lives. But we are working thru the problems as they hit us. We resigned officially about a year ago. We have never felt as free as we do now. Our last child expressed that she is happy not to be a part of the borg any more, and that makes it all very worth it!!!

Robotnomore

• shotgun
    shotgun

Until I die!

Even if the exposure period was shorter I still think it would in some ways affect me.

• Francois
    Francois

Forever, I hope. Being in the JWs has taught me not to trust too easily, even though I was raised in it. My association with Richard Hickman has also taught me not to trust to easily, and I'd like to know if any others have come away with that same lesson learned. I will never follow another man, nor angel, nor group of angels easily again.

I will only follow the leading of that small, quiet voice within my heart/mind for spirit guidance. And I hope, with all my heart, that if I were standing in the presence of The Master himself and if he told me something to do that was in conflict with what that the small, quiet inner voice had told me was right, that I would first find a resolution to that conflict before I just blindly followed the voice of the Master in the teeth of the leading of the inner Divine Lover.

So I have learned one good thing from the JWs. Beware the voice of even people you know, much less the stranger.

francois

• Jimmer
    Jimmer

I've been out for 24 years. It still gnaws at me a couple times a year when I think about my folks (they're still in).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit