How long do you think being a JW will affect you?

by Adam 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Adam
    Adam

I haven't been on this board for a while. I've been on a conservative EZboard trying to see if we can't do something about political issues. I've also got a new job, had to get the car fixed, been best man in a wedding, and watched the Two Towers on VHS. It is not that often that I think about the fact that for 6 years durring Jr High and High Shcool I gave talks, went door to door and didn't celebrate my birthday. How often does your past JWness come into your consiouses and how long do you think it will continue to do so?

• maxwell
    maxwell

I was born into JW. That religion was the vehicle through which almost all of the positive values I have were taught. So it will always affect me to some extent. Hopefully I can remove all of the negative effects. I am not sure how long that will take.

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

i was a born-in as well, and i wouldnt be surprised if the experience continues to affect me in some measure throughout the rest of my life. i guess i'll just have to find out.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Having spent the better part of 30 years inside the cult, I think it unlikely that its effects will disappear within my lifetime. It certainly molded a lot of the ways in which I look at things, and my attitudes about myself and others. I'm working my way through those issues, and trying to improve as time goes on, but I doubt I'll ever be completely free from the cult's aftereffects.

But on the positive side, I'm way happier than I was as a JW.

• gumby
    gumby
    How often does your past JWness come into your consiouses and how long do you think it will continue to do so?

Thats like asking 50 people how long it takes before you can go back to work after a back injury.

Everybody was indoctrinated at different levels and different lenghts of time. Some were in the Organisation deep.....and some weren't.

Some grow after exiting and some do not.

There is no way to get one solid answer for this. Sorry for being so philosophical on this question.....but it's the truth.

Gumby

• badolputtytat
    badolputtytat

I was a third-generation "born-in". After leaving home at a very young age.... I simply convinced myself that the elders were right about me to begin with, when they said to my father "He doesn't have a concience".... so for ten years or so, I just told myself that.... "I don't have a concience, there is no guilt, I choose to walk away from this"

I found later that perhaps, the fact that I DID have a concience, is the greatest reason I left.

It doesn't effect me in the way you are talking about here. (well, not guilt-wise anyway ) .. but I have lost an entire family, and the right to any claims on the family estate. I spend many hours a day, preparing to get them back, and basically finding ways to trash WTBTS. So, in that sense, I probably waste a large amount of my life looking for "revenge".

But on the positive side, I'm way happier than I was as a JW.

--- me too ---

--puttytat

• sens
    sens

I hope Not For 2 Much Longer....but Hence Prob. Knowing My Luck The Rest Of My Life.

3 Sens 4

• CruithneLaLuna
    CruithneLaLuna

I do not see this as necessarily a bad thing. It is the post-processing that makes all of the difference.

I think/feel that whatever it takes to make us compassionate is worth it. I do not claim tobe "perfectly" compassionate, but am probably a lot more so than if I hadn't had troubles (many of them caused by that religion).

Cruithne

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Forever to a degree -- would have never stopped smoking if I had not become a JW --did me good

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Well since my entire familly won't be out ... I won't be able to answer this question

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit