Applying for a job, did you tell interviewers that you were a JW ???

by run dont walk 26 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Never had a job that interfered with the meetings when I was still active. No need to bring up religion; and they can't ask because it is against the law.

Blondie

• JH
    JH

If you happen to fall on an employer that hates Jehovah Witnesses, your done.

I wouldn't mention it, if I was passing an interview. The brothers gave us the impression that by saying you're a JW, that you had a better chance of getting the job. It's simply not true.

If you are convincing, and If you speak well, then you have a better chance.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Neon Madman

I have at times wondered, though, whether 30 years as a JW might be regarded as a plus when interviewing for a sales job.

Yep -- if you can sell that crap you can sell anything and that would make you a master salesman- -good at presentations - all that theocratic ministry school training done you the world of good

• freedom96
    freedom96

I actually told 2 possible employers, one of which I actually got the job.

After that, I was not stupid enough to do that. If I had to work, then I could maybe miss a meeting!

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Funny you should ask. This just came up today. I run a staffing service and we had a young man working for us - placed at one of our clients and he was making decent money for his age and gaining some valuable experience etc. He worked the night shift so attendance wasn't a problem at one point, although he had taken some time off that had been okay'd by his supervisor. His supervisor told us that he had requested 2 weeks off this summer to go to some Bible camp. This was in July. The supervisor said that he wanted a replacement for him because there were some performance issues and then the request for 2 weeks off on a temp assignment was the end of it for him. So we replaced him.

We recently placed him on another assignment where he was working a second shift 3 p.m. to 11 p.m. and last Thursday he called to inform us (in his first week there) that he couldn't work on Thursday. He didn't say every Thursday- he was only giving information as it was needed. We found a replacement for him for that night and that person found out that the young man is a JW and has to be at the meeting on Thursday nights. So this kind gentlemen offered to work the Thursday nights- works for his schedule etc.

This works out for him now but it irritates me as an employer that he's doing this as he goes along. He didn't tell us that he wouldn't be able to work every Thursday night, he was just going to wait until the last minute each week and be absent- making us look bad to our customer. But I guess it's the part of the program for him and he doesn't know any better.

I still wonder where he had to go for 2 weeks this summer. Is there some camp JW's go to for 2 weeks in the summer??? I've heard of the assemblies but 2 weeks? Anyone have any clues?

XW

• Undecided
    Undecided

My brother went to work 2 years before I did. We worked for the same company, Fieldcrest Mills. They gave a pretty long test, one was IQ and another was hand skills. We made the higest scores up to that time back in the early 50s. We eventually wound up in the same data processing office, he was a programmer and I was an operator of the main frame computer. We retired on the same day after 45 years working for them. I had worked only 40 years for them. They let me off for a month when I went to the KM school and for all the assemblies, which was usually my vacation time. For the last 26 years I worked for them I didn't go to the meetings or assemblies. We liked our jobs and the people we worked with. They became like family after all those years working together. They closed the company recently, we got out just in time to draw our pensions, I sure hope they don't somehow stop it. It is controlled by the government and the last stmt. showed they had enough money to last 16 years without any more being added judging by the amount spent last year. There you have most of my working history, I had to work a few more years before I drew my SS at 1/3 of what I was making at my old job. Retired now and loving it.

Ken P.

• berylblue
    berylblue

No. Never. I would never have considered it.

Why let a good opportunity pass me by because of bias?

Many think of JWs as nutcases. I prefer to labeled a nut case because of my own merit, thank you very much.

• micheal
    micheal

I never said anything. I mean I wanted the job and saying that I can never work Tuesday Thursday nights and Sundays isn't going to help my cause all that much. Unless of course the elders want to pay my mortgage for me.

• caligirl
    caligirl

Only one - I went for orientation, opened my big fat mouth about the religion issue and mysteriously was never called and given a schedule. Don't know why I bothered since I missed 2/3 of the meetings at that point in my life anyways.

• Amazing
    Amazing

... eventually, after I got the job and settled in ... perhaps a few months later ... and then, only when I was forced to reject birthday cake on the job ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit