I didn't get the job

by Elsewhere 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I have been doing contract work for about four years now and I have been trying to get a permanent position for well over a year. Last week I did an interview for a job that would have been perfect. It was even very close to where I live... within a five minute drive.

This morning I got feedback and they really liked me, but decided to go with another candidate. Apparently he was someone who was extremely over qualified with far more years experience than the average developer... but was willing to work for the same pay.

Damn the job market sucks. I sure wish someone would slap those damned news commentators who keep saying that the recession is over. Trust me... it is nowhere near over. To add insult in injury, it is being projected that by the end of 2004, 10% of the technology and development jobs will be shipped to countries where people work for pennies on the dollar. My inside contacts tell me that Verizon is already starting to move most if not all of their software development work overseas... for years they have been one of the best places to work. They were constantly bringing in large numbers of people and keeping them for years... now they are being dropped. I also have a friend who used to work at WorldCom (yes, THAT WorldCom) and still has contacts inside... every week or so she tells me that yet ANOTHER bunch of people are being laid-off.

That's odd... I seem to recall everyone at college telling me that I would not have to worry about my job being shipped overseas because I was getting an education.

• suzi_creamcheez
    suzi_creamcheez

((((Elsewhere))))) I know how you're feeling, i've been outa work for over a year. My job was sent overseas "to save money." Yeah, right, they spent thousands upgrading their system so they could send work to a 3rd world cesspool. Grrrr.

It's a hard struggle. It sounds like you had a good interview tho, so they may keep you in mind for another position. Don't beat yourself up, you gave it your best shot.

• little witch
    little witch

Gosh, Elsewhere, I am so sorry.

You are right, the job market stinks. I live near a major university, and I know lots of people fighting tooth and nail even for a service industry job.

I don't see any relief in sight yet either.

Hang in there, and good luck to you, dear!

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

((((else)))))

dude, that sucks, i'm sorry. :( but maybe something even better will come along....i sure hope so.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Elsewhere... so sorry to hear about this.

I enjoy software development as a hobby, but it seems to be getting more and more difficult to find work in that field. Like you said, a lot of jobs are being shipped overseas.

Because of this (and other reasons) I have been discouraged to pursue a degree in computer science.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

((Elsewhere)) Sorry babe!!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

(((elsewhere)))

I just hung up the phone with yet one more rejection. Seems I am over-qualified.

It sucks

• Scully
    Scully

{{{{ Elsewhere }}}} {{{{ Lee }}}}

Love, Scully

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

ahhhhhhhh ((((((elsewhere)))))) ((((((Lee))))) what a bummer.

• jelly
    jelly

Scary stuff elsewhere,

The whole tech sector is shot. I could have finished my degree last spring in MIS, but I postponed graduating because the economy was so bad. This semester I am finishing a certificate in web programming but I am not sure it will help me much. I am thinking about just getting another BS in accounting or going on to grad work. The important thing is not to give up but keep trying sooner or later these things work out.

Terry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit