Got the old shunning treatment

by Sadie5 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Sadie5
    Sadie5

Hubby and I stopped in at Wal-mart tonight. Ran into a JW. This was an older guy. Many years ago he was very sick and we brought groceries for him and his wife and gave them money to help pay their light bill.

He looked a lot older. He recognized me first( I seemed to be the real apostate of the family, while everyone else in the family is one of my followers). It was a small cramped side aisle, he couldn't even return our greeting or excuse himself as he tried to get by us. Hubby then just stared at him.

All I can think of is how disgusting JWs are. Why they think they are so much better than everyone else is beyond me. They are in an organization that supports child molesters and sues the victim. That is a lot to be proud of.

Sadie

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Wow. Isn't that terrible.

They are afraid to say anything for fear another witness sees them and reports them. How vicous a circle that perpetuates distrust and how it makes people subsevrient to the WTBS an organization run by mere men. Brainwashed!!!

I love ya

Orangefatcat

• Huxley
    Huxley

Sorry to hear about this rude treatment. It hasn't happened to me yet... but I"m sure it will.

Try to remember that they are the ones with the childish rules, not you..

Huxley

• RoadDoctor
    RoadDoctor

That is sad...amazing how people's minds are so damn narrow.

My parents always tell me when I get shitty with them about shunning me, they say "Josh you made the choice to leave".. True, but they also made their choice of a false religion over their firstborn son. So, sorry to be so crude, but my life is easier with the thinking "Fuck them". I'm better off without it.

Josh

• freedom96
    freedom96

Certainly there are witnesses out there that think they are better than anyone else.

At the same time though, there are others who are simply scared, or don't know how to act.

We need to remember the very sheltered lives these people have led. They have not been taught people skills, or how to think for themselves. So, when in a position, some just don't know how to act, and that can get interpeted as being rude.

That being said, there are certainly those out there as I mentioned above, who think they are better than others, and to them I have no sympathy, and if the timing is right, I would give them an earfull to last a lifetime.

• Swan
    Swan
    They are in an organization that supports child molesters and sues the victim.

Sadie, this is true. As I have said before, they treat child molesters better than they treat us! But they are under the influence of mind control and do not appreciate this. It may be some consolation to know remember that you are in good company. They, however, are enslaved to cult tactics used by an organization with child molesters at their highest level.

When I get the old shunning treatment, I don't get as angry as I used to. I feel pity for them.

Tammy

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

My parents are DAed but of course that means they get shunned. I love how they handle it and when I'm shunned I do exactly what they do.

When they spot a JW they know in a car they will roll down the windows and wave and smile at them. In a store they will walk right up and start a conversation as though they are still best of friends. They are so agressive about being friendly that the hall had a local needs talk about it last year. The "friends" were told to just smile, be nice but not to exchange anything of a personal nature with the "apostates".

Whenever I do it I usually get told how much I'm missed (BS ALERT) and how they wish I'm come back to meetings. I thank them and then talk about my studies or job or whatever always making sure to put that big going to meeting smile on my face.

My dad is the best at it. I've seen elders try to smile and walk away but he follows them down the aisle asking them how the kids are or how work is going. They can't get away fast enough.

My suggestion is to make it fun if you can. Turn it around.

• kitties_and_horses_oh_my!
    kitties_and_horses_oh_my!

A couple of thoughts...

When I was a dub, I once shunned a sweet woman who had da'd herself. All she said to me was "I hope you're feeling better," as I had been quite sick before she da'd herself. For years I felt guilty for not saying anything. Once I left the borg I looked her up and we had a tearful reunion. Sometimes all it takes is time and a little independent thought...maybe one day you'll get a phone call from a very sorry dub, too. I hope. ((((Hugs))))

BTW, Stacey - I think that is so great, just go up and be incredibly nice - what a way to rise above it! Of course, you know it will either a) scare them or b) piss them off so there's so pleasure in it too. ;-)

Oh, and the woman I shunned - she told me that once she went up to a sister who had been a good friend after she was da'd and the sister told her - in a public restroom - "don't talk to me!" The other women in the restroom were horrified and once the sister left promptly started asking my friend questions about why she'd been treated so terribly.

• John Barleycorn
    John Barleycorn

well i know just what that whole shunning thing is all about... unfortunately, i wish i could hound them in a friendly manner as so wonderfully described, but what can i do, i live far away from them, don't know where they are etc.

• Gordy
    Gordy

My son (28) disassociated 4 years ago.

While he was walking through our local shopping centre recently. It turns out that his JW mother was walking just to one side of him slightly behind. Yet she did not let on she was there to him. We learnt this from my other son who is not a JW, when she told him on a visit.

What kind of organisation stops a mother from speaking to her firstborn son, who she has not seen or spoken to in 4 years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit