Can Men & Women Just be Friends?

by Xena 102 Replies latest jw friends

• Xena
    Xena

The WT says "NO"... "When Harry met Sally" says "NO"....what say you?????

Is it possible to just be friends with the opposite sex?

And how do you feel when your significant other has a "best" friend of the opposite sex?

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Most of my friends are female and I firmly believe you can "just be friends." Like you said, this definitely goes against WTS dogma. They teach that a man and woman cannot control themselves under any circumstances. If they kind of like each other, it will absolutely lead to sex.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

CAN it happen? Sure. Why not?

But I think it takes at least one, better if it's both, grounded in what the relationship is, i.e. platonic. I'm friends with several women, but I'm also not looking at another woman in a sexual way. I'm happy with who I'm with, so I don't need to look anywhere else.

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

1) I firmly beleive that it's possible.

2) I also firmly believe that the best man around may not succeed in pulling it off in every situation.

I have had many great female friendships - and I have had one that got away from me, so to speak, and I developed a serious and unrequited crush that, despite my best efforts and entirely respectful behavior, has created distance in the friendship.

Just because the guy falls for you doesn't mena he was full of crap - he probably was sincere about the friend thing, otherwise you would have suspected something. When you're marvelous, guys like you.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Talking to a number of male friends we feel the same and in my opinion men and women can be just friends as long as the rules are laid down and you don't cross the line of friendship to a sexual relationship. Once you have taken it up to that level it is pretty hard to going back to just being friends, especially when your ex has a new partner. I think it is hard not only on the ex but the new person in their life. So if you want to keep it just friends, don't get sexually involved but thats from a male perspective.

Will

• Xena
    Xena

So how does your wife feel about your female friends Dr? How do you balance your friendship with them?

Just curious

• Xena
    Xena

The funny thing about friendship though is that the more you get to know a person...how really great they are....the more attractive you tend to find them, you know?

And even though you have drawn a line...it can be tempting to consider crossing it and see if it could be as good as you imagine it might be. lol or so I would imagine

• NEWWORLDSLACKER
    NEWWORLDSLACKER

I think so , growing up my freinds were mostly girls , alot of guys were just such a holes . I never really hooked up with any of my close freinds, then again i was never the chasing after chicks type . In fact to think of it even today most of my close freinds are women . i dont know i might be the exception , lots of guys go for the " freinds" angle when they already have the hots for a girl.It really comes down to the individuals , and there intentions.

. Just one male perspective here.

NwS Undecided

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Yes, Xena. My wife is my best friend, but I have other friends, most of whom are ladies ("ladies" in the fine sense of the word). My wife is not jealous of these other ladies; she knows that we are "just" friends.

My wife is perfect in many ways; for example she is often quick to point out to me other fine looking women. Like most women, my wife looks over other women, usually noticing them before I do. We can openly discuss their finer points of fashion, make-up and hair styles (men too) in an objective way.

For the record, my wife and I have been loyal to each other for many, many years.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    So how does your wife feel about your female friends Dr? How do you balance your friendship with them?

I spend a lot more time with her than I do with any female friends.

Honestly, she was a bit uncomfortable with it when we were first married, but it was partly due to the teachings of the WTS... they basically say a man and woman can't just be friends. But she realizes the importance of having friends, and she knows that it's much easier for me to become friends with women. (It may have something to do with me having four sisters and no brothers.)

What helps a lot is if both me and my wife are friends with the same people. That usually happens anyway. Also, we both trust each other completely.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit