Texas 101

by arrowstar 16 Replies latest jw friends

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

You know how when you moved things get put away? Then, you start to unpack and "discover" things you might not have seen for awhile? Well, that's what happened to me yesterday. I was unpacking boxes of books. And goddess knows I have a lot of books. Anyway, I came across a book called "The Book of Texas Wisdom...Common Sense adn Uncommon Genius from 101 Great Texans" As is my habit, I started glancing through this book.

Wow...if this isn't the best little book I've seen in awhile...I don't know what is....

If you don't mind, I'll give you some examples from the book. The Texans on this board know these to be true...it's you non-Texans that might be interested.

Texas

Texas is the finest portion of the globe that ever blessed my vision. Sam Houston

I must say as to what I have seen of Texas, it is the garden spot of the world, the best land and the best prospects for health I ever saw, and I do believe it is a forturn to any man to come here. Davy Crockett

If you're ever driven across Texas, you know how different one area of the state can be from another. Take El Paso. It looks as much like Dallas as I look like Jack Nicklaus. Lee Trevino

Texas one and indivisible. Remember the Alamo. State Seal of Texas

Texans

Texan is what you are, not what you were or might be. Robert Ruark

What Texans can dream, Texans can do. George W Bush

Texans have always been Number One in their own minds. There are no people as proud of their heritage. We've got a lot to brag about, and rightfully so. Dick DeGuerin

Hospitality

You can't get ahead while you're trying to get even. Dick Armey

Winning has always meant much to me, but winning friends has meant more. Babe Didrikson Zaharias

Hospitality in the prairie country is not limited. Even if your enemy passes your way, you must feed him before you shoot him. O. Henry

There's more...but I thought I would just share a sample.

Lisa

"Texas remains, in many ways, a nation unto itsefl. From this diverse land springs a wisdom that combines the hospitality of the Old South, the unhurried calm of Mexico, and the gritty determination of the Wild West."

Texas Our Texas

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Arrowstar,

You have passed on to us facts which cannot be disputed. Texas is the greatest state in the US. But please don't broadcast our wonderful state attributes too much, we will be overrun by folks from other regions of the United States.

To those of you who do not call Texas home, please come down and look around enjoy our culture, our beauty and our friendly people. Now if you can work in an apostafest while you are in our great state, your life will be complete.

Bug

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

Bug -

What have I done?

BluebonnetsBluebonnets...the State Flower

• Aztec
    Aztec

Okee dokie, while I love Texans I don't forsee myself ever living there. I agree that it is ripe with potential and the natives are full of holy spirit (I'm trying to be kind...LOL) but, Michigan is home to the best apostates in the world and I couldn't bear to part with my loves.(Some of whom are trying to make it tipsily home..LOL) (No, not that tipsily...at least by Texan standards ;-)) Michigan is also home to, well, me and who could ask for more than that eh? Okay, I have much love for Texans, as long as you are NOT Georgie Boy...LOL!

Give yourself a big pat on the back for being the *second* coolest state in the union. :-D

~Aztec

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

Texas sure has alot to offer. Would love to see it some day. The bluebonnets are beautiful. Certainly it has produced many wonderful apostates!!!!

Leslie

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug
    Michigan is home to the best apostates in

Aztec, come on down and try some Texas apostate hospitality. I promise, you won't be disappointed.

Arrowstar, that is a great shot of the bluebonnets, many thanks for posting it. Bub

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

It's not about which state is better than another. Each state has some unique qualities that set it apart from the rest. Just as there is no place else you'd rather be...I can't picture myself anywhere but Texas.

from the bluebonnets in the Hill Country to the Elissa in Galveston Bay

from the Dallas skyline

to the Alamo in San Antonio

this is home...

Lisa

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

that is a great bluebonnet shot, Arrow. As beautiful as they are, I seldom see a picture that is really good of the bluebonnets.

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Six, in the spring Texas Highways magazine comes out with their wildflower issue, in April, I think. Look for it as it is well worth the price. Bug

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I'd like to visit Texas some day. Hey arrow, can kitties and I crash at your place? For a couple weeks?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit