I would like advice from the women on this forum

by Eric 28 Replies latest jw friends

• happyout
    happyout

Tale - not to speak for him, but he's probably scared to respond at this point. Can't say I blame him all that much, but he did say he was going to respond, so give him some time.

Teejay - You and I speak the same language a lot. My son gets a lot of attention, and people always want to touch him, and it gets my back up. I keep wanting to tell them to leave him alone, but I don't want to make him paranoid. I don't know where to draw the line just yet, I simply don't want strangers touching my child. Sad, isn't it?

Happyout

• teejay
    teejay
    I don't know where to draw the line just yet, I simply don't want strangers touching my child. Sad, isn't it?

Naw, Hap, it ain’t sad. It’s a damn shame, is what it is. Such a shame that it makes my heart heavy.

Check this: I love little kids. Always have. People thought I was a weirdo at the Hall growing up ’cause all the little scooters liked being around me and I liked being around them. I don’t know what happened to me in a former life, but I’m a natural born pied piper when it comes to kids.

Not anymore. Anymore, unless they are blood relatives or the kids of very close personal friends, I am self-conscious in the extreme when it comes to fooling with kids I don’t know. You never know, but in the back of my mind I think that their parents are thinking what I’d be thinking: “man!... are you crazy!? You bettah git-cho hands off-a my baby!” So, I don’t even go there anymore. And I got nothing but love for little kids.

That’s what I thought about Eric. After he read his initial post with straight-up objectivity, even he could see how he most likely appeared -- like some weirdo stalking babes on a internet forum -- when he didn't mean an ounce of harm. And that’s just sad... that we’re living in that kind of world. But we are. That's just the way it is.

I’m happy to have been raised during a time when it was a lot safer and more innocent than this one. For as long as I can, I will keep my Little One in the dark about things are. But one day I’m gone hafta break it to her how the world really is, and I can tell ya right now... it’s gonna break my heart waay more than it's gonna break hers.

• moonwillow
    moonwillow

teejay and happyout

I too am a parent and know where you are coming from. It's a scarey world out there and I know the time draws nearer and nearer for my teen daughters to go out on their own into it and man am I scared! Why does it have to be this way?

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Makes me sad. What a world we’re living in, eh? Not the one I grew up in, that’s for sure.

Just now reading this thread and I agree teejay. I can see both sides to this. I'd like to think I would have responded a little less aggressively, but by the same token that attitude can, and has in the past, get me in trouble.

Either way, it's a damn shame.

• talesin
    talesin

teej

I agree with you wholeheartedly. That's why I quickly sent Eric a hotmail addy, hoping he would feel okay with replying.

Eric, if you are reading this, you cannot be thin-skinned when addressing hundreds of people on the internet - it's unpleasant to be criticized for no reason, but pls remember it's only a Discussion Board, not the end of your life. So write me back, and try to relax a bit. I'm really good at giving advice to the lovelorm (or so my friends tell me) so I'd be happy to let you know what I think of your dilemma. (15 years of therapy finally paying off!! hahaha)

We do have to be careful, and I find the internet a scary place. After 2 months, I'm still not really comfortable. I find that I have to force myself to be open with people and have little talks with myself about not being so paranoid.

I got weirded out last week (check my thread on technical if yr interested). Someone sent some pretty freaky AUDIO message to me and it was a mean thing to do. But to he** with them. I'm a big girl and not to be messed with!

Anyhoo, guys, back to the gentle, friendly tal you're all accustomed to.

t

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

I think Eric got jumped on here a little prematurely. From reading his topics and posts here, I think his request was misunderstood.

And I'm sure he will respond to all emails, just as he did when he posted :

My unlikely trip from the Great Lakes of Ontario to the Rockies of B.C.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/54073/1.ashx

Good Luck Eric. BTW Sorry we missed ya, and how was the trip?

• little witch
    little witch

Eric,

Thank you for understanding. I accept your apology, and humbly offer mine to you.

No hard feelings, ok?

For Others:

Only a few months ago, a man came here and sounded really desperate for help, and asked for email addys, or to be emailed.

He ended up terrorising a good woman here, who only wanted to help him.

Right now, there are no less than three women on the forum, who have recently been cyber stalked, had tricks played, and harrassed. It is very scary.

We tend to think of everyone here as a part of our family almost. Unfortunatly, that is not the case.

Please use common sense online. Don't give out personal info to total stranger, it will come back to haunt you!

Eric, again, I am sorry. Some of the people here are new to this, and I don't want to see them hurt.

• Eric
    Eric

Talespin,

I''ve not been able to make the PM feature work. I get a "server inaccesible" message and alternating brown and yellow lines of code. I appreciate your desire to help, but I think I'll just go this on my own.

xjw-B12,

My trip was amazing, left me stunned at the scope of travellers I met along the way, and every positive outcome I had imagined was exceeded. I'd start a separate thread about it, but I don't know how I'd manage to write it all down.

little witch,

Thanks for coming back.

And for not holding a grudge. That's something I really respect.

I wish I could think/write/type more quickly. I'll have to come back to this.

Eric

• teejay
    teejay

>>>>>Only a few months ago, a man came here and sounded really desperate for help, and asked for email addys, or to be emailed. He ended up terrorising a good woman here, who only wanted to help him. Right now, there are no less than three women on the forum, who have recently been cyber stalked, had tricks played, and harrassed. It is very scary.

It is a sad state of affairs.

On the one hand is the need to protect ourselves from unseen and vicious wolves that prowl the Internet, looking for potential victims. On the other hand is what we should all want: to not be a part of anything that results in an ounce of harm to one who is totally without guile or evil intent.

So, what do we do? Become a victim or victimize?

What might keep us from jumping to wrong conclusions is taking advantage of the feature that the software makes possible that allows us to check someone's posting history. In terms of seniority, Eric has been here longer than almost anyone posting now and has made hundreds of posts. A simple check should (and, in fact DOES) give unmistakable clues about what sort of person Eric is.

It's no guarantee that we'll be 100% safe from harm, but for the sake of fairness it might be worth it to take the time to go through the process. IMO.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit