how long after a fade does the local hall keep your records?

by mickbobcat 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

So I have not been to a KH for 26 years. If I wanted to dissociate what would be the procedure and is there any gain in doing it so long after I left?

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Mickbobcat:

What a great question! I moved congregations, attended 1 meeting, and never went back. That was over 10 years ago. I was already inactive prior to that.

I hope we get an answer.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

I think the records are kept forever, but in 26 years will be so far back they are crumbly or misplaced. I have heard of records being lost so the CO has nothing to ask about. Why disassociate now? Open old wounds?

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

I'm not a JW but I have a lot of family that are jws and several are elders. I've asked that question. They have told me that they keep the records forever or until it becomes known that someone died. Some elders though don't follow instructions and clean up and "Accidentally" lose certain records---whatever that means.

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

Just to make it official. But since my wife's dad and sister are still in it could make things harder for her. So I am hesitant to do it.

• Longlivetherenegades
    Longlivetherenegades

Check the shepherd book for disassociation procedure. Words of mouth or a written note to that effect is enough.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

There was a sister I knew who had her fair share of struggles in the truth, disfellowshipped, reprimanded, etc. When she moved from the congregation where all that happened, the brother in charge sent a blank publisher card to the new congregation and told her he misplaced/lost her old records. I think that brother was a PIMO.

• Biahi
    Biahi

Probably forever, unless someone is PIMO or lazy. After I had faded about 10 years, my dad passed away, and I attended the funeral in the KH. I saw one brother point to me and talk to another elder, I think he thought he could intimidate me into a judicial committee. The second brother shook his head no, as I was sitting next to my big, muscular husband. Lol, these asshats think they have so much power. Legends in their own minds.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Depends on your jurisdiction, in many cases they keep a record around until the legal limits tell them it needs destroyed or in some jurisdictions it may have to be destroyed on demand. Whether or not they follow the legal limits is another thing altogether, the branch may remind them but it often gets forgotten about.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

As a former "Cong. Secretary" ten years ago, I never tossed cards. I just took them out of the current box the C.O. would look through every visit. After about a year of inactivity, I took them out and added them to a stack of inactive/moved cards with a rubber band buried in the back of the Congregation Files. Reason? C.O.s would ask about every inactive publisher and push for a "resolution" during each visit. "Resolution" meant pestering the person with "shepherding calls" and unannounced "visits" with the C.O. afternoons. C.O.s had questions like: "How much effort have you Elders made to re-activate this publisher? Does the publisher have secret sins? Sometimes resulting in "Investigations".

If no one is bothering you, why wake a sleeping dog? Enjoy your life. :)

My 2 cents.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit