New Zealand - JWs head to court on Abuse in Care Inquiry - RNZ news story

by EasyPrompt 36 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• EasyPrompt
    EasyPrompt

https://www.thepress.co.nz/a/nz-news/350089389/jehovahs-witnesses-care-outside-scope-abuse-inquiry-court-told

"Jehovah's Witnesses 'care' outside scope of abuse inquiry, court told

Wellington higher courts reporter

October 11, 2023

Jehovah’s Witnesses say five claims made against elders are not within the scope of the abuse in care inquiry, but it can’t forestall what will happen about other claims it knows exist but remain confidential.

Survivors have not yet given permission for the extra claims to be disclosed to the Jehovah’s Witnesses, so a court challenge to the way the abuse in care Royal Commission of Inquiry is interpreting the scope of its work can only cover the claims disclosed so far.

Jehovah’s Witnesses were not asking to be “released” from the inquiry but did say nothing so far brought it within the terms of reference description of a faith-based institution assuming responsibility for the care of anyone.

The faith did not run schools, camps or assume responsibility for care in any other way, lawyer Sarah Jerebine told Justice Rebecca Ellis at the High Court in Wellington on Wednesday.

However, last month the scope of the inquiry was clarified “for the avoidance of doubt” to cover faiths assuming care for individuals in informal and pastoral care relationships. The judge was told her decision would also affect claims against other faiths.

Jehovah’s Witnesses said last month’s clarification was invalid but lawyers for the attorney-general have defended it.

The faith group did not challenge the evidence to the inquiry from a former Jehovah’s Witnesses elder who said people trusted him and left their children with him. Jerebine said that did not amount to the faith assuming responsibility for the care of anyone.

Jehovah’s Witnesses’ policy was that parents should not leave their children with elders. The five claims against elders were in a family setting or friend of the family context and none described abuse in care that came within the scope of the inquiry, she said.

It was fair for claimants to have a process to meet their situation but the abuse in care inquiry did not cover abuse in trust-based relationships, she said.

The inquiry is due to start a process at the end of the month seeking comment from any person or group facing adverse findings.

It had a deadline of March 28, 2024 to release its report and recommendations.

The inquiry was represented at the court hearing in Wellington this week but its lawyer Simon Mount, KC, said it was only present to assist the court and did not take an active part.

It took seriously its duties to be even-handed and fair, he said.

Justice Rebecca Ellis reserved her decision. Dozens of people were in the court’s public gallery for the hearing and she thanked them for their attention to the case, acknowledging that not all were “in the same boat”.

- The Post"

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    “…Jehovah’s Witnesses’ policy was that parents should not leave their children with elders…”

Since when?

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

"Since when?"

Lying liars gonna lie!

• sheol-do
    sheol-do
    “…Jehovah’s Witnesses’ policy was that parents should not leave their children with elders…”

This makes me SO, SO, ANGRY! These are weasel words.

As a recent former elder - there is absolutely NOTHING in 'policy', no, no let me be clear, there is nothing ANYWHERE that says this.

This is absolutely disgusting behavior. This violates the basic christian commandments, let along anything else.

I hope that they (NZ) are getting good advice and examples to showcase these as lies, and I hope that the WT gets everything that it deserves, right back at it.

• Earnest
    Earnest

Vidiot : “…Jehovah’s Witnesses’ policy was that parents should not leave their children with elders…”

Reading through the various reports, my impression is that this was said in the context of "the faith did not run schools, camps or assume responsibility for care in any other way".

• jhine
    jhine

I would like to contrast that with the Church of England. All the rules are national so apply to every parish church. My parish church does not run a school or orphanage or even a Sunday School where children go into a separate room .

Many of us are still required to be DBS checked including any members of the Parochial Church Council if we have any contact with children or vulnerable adults or not .

We do run something called The Ark on Thursday morning and Baby Ark on Monday afternoon. For preschool children and parents/ grandparents/ childminders who stay with the children . The volunteers at both have to be DBS checked even though they have no direct physical contact with the children.

During the morning family service there is a children's table where littluns sit with volunteers and do crafts related to the sermon, colouring, sticking etc , in full view of their responsible adults. They love parading around the church at the end and to show off their work.

Those volunteers need to be DBS checked .

Each church has a designated Safeguarding Officer .

Jan from Tam

• EasyPrompt
    EasyPrompt

Video from Rachel Exjw: "JW Judicial Review Hearing in NZ October 9 - 11 2023 - My Thoughts After Attending"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF_6dlhUs1Y

"Oct 14, 2023

The Royal Commission of Inquiry into Historical Abuse in Care was established in 2019 to determine "the nature and extent" of abuse of "children and vulnerable adults" in "the care of state and faith based institutions" in New Zealand in the years 1950 to 1999.

The Jehovahs Witnesses sought Judicial Review in March 2023, shortly before the Royal Commission was due to present its draft final report to government. The hearing in the High Court in Wellington took place from October 9 - 11, 2023. The Judge was Rebecca Ellis.

The JWs challenged both the Royal Commission and the government , saying what they've done is unlawful and invalid. The Judge will decide.

Please ask any questions in the comments, and I'll do my best to answer or find out the answer." (from caption under video)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit