Novel: Father's Touch (By Donald D'Haene)

by RAYZORBLADE 16 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Hi folks. I believe Donald has posted on JWD, but I cannot remember his username on this forum. (morrislamb)

Nonetheless, I checked out his website:

http://www.fatherstouch.com

From there, I perused the website, the photos, articles, reviews of his book: Father's Touch

I bought the book, and Donald promptly mailed it to me. As soon as I received it, I began to read it, and I can tell you: it's a difficult book to put down.

If you want to read an account of child abuse that will have your eyesbulging out of your head, I would strongly suggest, you pick up this book. I know some of you have, but there have been many newbies since.

It is excellent written, and chronologically on the mark. It flows well, and it is intriguing, and very disturbing at times.

A former Jehovah's Witness account of a horrific act. Keep in mind, the abuse that Donald and his siblings endured was not a one-time only affair.

I'm 3/4 of the way through it, and I cannot put the book down.

It's excellent, and I would suggest some of the forum members on here, pick it up.

Donald has done very well for himself, as can be seen by the mere fact he has written his story, but is active in his community and successful citizen of London, Ontario.

Congratulations Donald.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

It is a very good book Rayzor, and I think all the more poignant for those of us who grew up Witnesses or have abuse in our background. I started a thread when I finished the book.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/50532/1.ashx

But you're right, it is very hard to put down. Last I heard, Donald was busy making a short film about his experience.

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

Thank you Razorblade (and Big Tex) for your kind words...very much appreciated. I was asked to write a chapter in another book that was just released this month..I'll post a thread about that book in the very near future..It's called: Childhood....It should not HURT, By Claire R. Reeves

• nowisee
    nowisee

hi rayzor and big tex (and morrisamb),

your recommendations are enough for me and i will pick up the book, though, i have a stack of books that i am currently trying to navigate -- in search of christian freedom, rfranz; awakening of a jehovah's witness, diane wilson; best of max lucado; know the truth, bruce milne; reasoning from the scriptures with the jehovah's witnesses, ron rhodes; plus others....

there simply are not enough hours in the day. haven't been around too much (busy time of year for me) and i miss you both.

love, nowisee

• Swan
    Swan
    I'm 3/4 of the way through it, and I cannot put the book down.

I found it very disturbing because of the descriptions of abuse in the first part of the book. I actually would have to quit reading and take a break because it bothered me so much. Then about the last third of the book I found that I could not put it down.

I really liked this book, but it is a very graphic depiction of what Donald went through. I found myself crying through parts of it.

Donald, thanks again for sharing your story. It meant a lot to me.

Tammy

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

Dear Swan & Nowisee...

Yes, I know it is a difficult read but we need more books like this out there...I can't believe mine was the first written about sexual abuse within a Jehovah's Witness family.

I tried to be as objective as possible.

Thanks for your support

Donald D'Haene

• berylblue
    berylblue

I may read this at some point; but I'm simply not strong enough right now. Michelle Morris' fictional account, "If I Should Die Before I Wake" was way, way too much for me when I read that a few days ago.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Berylblue: let me assure you, one thing that I can say about Donald D'Haene's non-fiction book was that it was NOT graphic.

He touches upon certain topics, but does not go into graphic detail; you can figure it out.

It's a great book to read. Donald presents the information chronologically.

It's a great book to read if one is curious about life behind the curtains of JW life.

Also, the horrible truths revolving around child sex abuse.

I have almost completed the book, and I find it very well written, and revealing without being sensational.

That is NOT the writer's style.

Give it a read, it's well worth it.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Well, that didn't take me too long.

This book, as I have written before, was difficult to put down.

Well written, and very helpful. It offers some very useful suggestions.

As I have indicated, the contents are not graphic (you can figure it out), but the information related about the trial, was most surprising, as Donald D'Haene supplies the reader with some important facts about what 'could' happen at a trial, and/or things that 'may' be happening without the victims' knowledge.

A must read for anyone who would like to have first hand information made available to them with regards to pedophiles and their manipulation and control of their victims and long term psychological affects.

I like what Donald brought forward too, with regards to the congregational elders not bringing the child sex abuse issues to the authorities, or at least alerting them. This plays itself out in the book, and you can see how this can affect the outcome of a trial, in ways you'd never expect.

Get the book, read it. It's excellent.

Congratulations Donald D'Haene, as you are indeed, a success story!

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

It's interesting Rayzor, but I was afraid that the descriptions of what Donald endured by his father would be difficult for me to read, but it really wasn't. He wrote about what happened to him in a way that did not make it difficult on the reader (I wish I could do that with my stories!).

I don't know about you but the part of the book I literaly could not put down was the middle part of the book, which I thought was brilliantly written. The dichotomy of thinking vs feeling as well as trying so hard to please an unquenchable religion was fascinating.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit