Witnesses Win door to door right in Blainville

by JH 11 Replies latest jw friends

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I don't think that anyone should be too surprized about this court ruling. Freedom of religion has been upheld in this particular instance numerous times. If anything is surprizing, it is the fact that it is still being challenged. But, if nothing else, it wasted a lot of Watchtower time and money.

As for the do-not-call lists, my experience is that most Witnesses love the opportunity to skip a house. In fact, in my day, I would have loved a territory with nothing but do-not-calls. Individual Witnesses may have had greater or lesser respect for the requests.

For a while, I was the territory servant in my cong. We scrupulously recorded, followed, and transcribed the do not call houses on the territory cards - much like the monks who copied the Bible.

However, every two or three years, the service overseer was supposed to visit the do-not-calls, to determine if they still lived there and were still of the same mind. I don't know if this happened.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Blondie, Scully,

You are both right in your comments and I am aware of the failings of the local congregation system. I onced asked the FS Overseer in my congregation whether he did the annual visit on the do-not-calls and he said no. He said the brothers call on them enough times by mistake each year and the householders usually let them know their feelings.

That said, the vast majority of people are totally unaware that they can ask not to be called on. If enough people requested this it would have an effect on the door-to-door ministry. The ones who didn't request not to be called on would soon get fed up with the visits and follow the example of their neighbors. If JWs persisted in ignoring the requests then people would start letter writing and threatening legal action. That would work and would be much better than a city introduced oridnance.

Regards,

Thirdson

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit