Programme for UK branch visit

by Saltheart Foamfollower 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Saltheart Foamfollower
    Saltheart Foamfollower

Here is my brief review of the meeting:

Watchtower - as objectionable as expected

Branch report - like a local needs item - Philip Longstaff's photos from his visit to Falklands and pictures from Pakistan of people holding Urdu bibles. Oh and Chelmsford has been very busy and will get busier (maybe even enough so that someone will notice)

Prove yourselves ready - seriously, was this just given to Kikot so that he would have to keep saying riddy - I almost fell asleep 4 times during this.

Make over your mind - OK, now for the surprise. I liked this talk - it seemed to focus almost entirely on improving personal qualities and getting on with other people rather than what is done in the ministry. It reminded me of that brief time in the late 70s when kingdom service was said to include helping others etc. I probably missed some parts that were less good, but the general tone was so much better than the GB have been using.

Of course, it is also significant what wasn't mentioned - child abuse, financial problems etc. Any thoughts from others who stayed awake to the end?

SF

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    Pakistan is one of the truly most dangerous places on the planet to be practising Christianity, just goes to show that these hopeless cretins have very little grasp of what world conditions are really like,boasting of NWT's being available in Urdu is breathtakingly stupid.
  • ChrisSmall
    ChrisSmall

I agree Saltheart

That talk did have some redeeming features ,rest of the program was awful .

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Great review Saltheart. I agree 100%. I hate to say it but I quite enjoyed the last talk in as much as it focused on the side of Christianity which reflects humanism. Of course it suggested these qualities are something "the world" cannot hope to emulate and certainly did not make me suddenly think perhaps the organisation is OK after all but it was one of the most thoughtful talks I have heard in long, long time.

The Chelmsford update was laughable however.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

"Prove Yourself Ready" from Bro Kikot was so objectionable.. It is a good job my wife had taken a breather outside , or she would have heard muttering "No" "No" Not really true" at various points. He attributed so many things to "Jehovah" when really the beliefs and interpretation are purely the WTS.. e.g. ( recall from memory)

"The Bible says the United Nations will attack religion" ... No, it says that fantastical beast was envisioned turning on its' rider, a drunken harlot - the rest is down to you.

"The Bible says we are deep into the time of the end".. No , the WTS says that,and worked out the time.

You get the idea.

Like the posters above though , Bro Flo-deen's talk (I get the pronunciation) was well received. It discussed scriptures in context, hammered the need for Christian principles to govern our actions, was well constructed and delivered . As dub talks go , the best I have heard in years .Don't say we never give credit where due

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Saltheart I agree, good summary. Kiko was an absolute klutz. Still obsessed with dates. The same weary old stuff about the end coming any time now.

Flodine? (sp) was much more human. Wasn't he the one that died a broadcast about the overlapping generations and looked totally wooden and embarrassed about the whole concept? The only thing that I would add is what a bad working environment bethel seems to be. A woman spends 20 years overlooked for advancement due to perceived personality problems. Everybody notices, nobody does anything about it or says anything.

Contrast a worldly organisation with unloving values, the employees get regular professional development appraisals, a meeting to discuss how improvements can be made. The problem would have been picked up on an resolved a generation ago. Perhaps the holy spirit was dealing with something more important.

Still Floperson got there in the end. I think I would have kept quiet about it.

• ChrisSmall
    ChrisSmall
    Slidin Fast that was the exact point I made to my wife, you could have told her 15 years before
  • St George of England
    St George of England

Does anyone have the download code for this meeting?

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit