Comparing WT Library - 2011 vs. 2012

by MeanMrMustard 31 Replies latest watchtower bible

• fastJehu
    fastJehu

@ MeanMrMustard

Thanks a lot for this fantastic job.

I followed your NWT-job and so I will do it again with the library.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@Bobcat,

The WT is most likely programmed in C or C++. I have my bet on C. Reasons: 1) It is a fairly old program. 2) if it used Java or .NET, there wouldn't have been a memory leak. Any of the more modern languages that run in a "virtual" environment tend to employ a garbage collector. If any object becomes unreferenced, the garbage collector will reclaim the memory. This happens automatically. To get the type of memory leak I see in the WT library, you need to use a language that will allow you to allocate memory, and it won't give it back until the programmer explicitly calls for it to be free.

MMM

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@fastJehu,

Thanks! If you have any questions, let me know.

MMM

• fastJehu
    fastJehu

@ MMM

I would like to do this library-compare with german versions.

Thanks for offering your help - I think - I need your assistance.

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

Its absolutely disturbing and incomprehensibly for me that old literature is adapted to newer understanding solely to serve with updated but old references that sound similar like the newer intonation or language. Is all literature of JW a "living" encyclopedia that extinguishes old thoughts.?

The project is astonishing and valuable.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@fastJehu,

It should work with any language - although, I can't test it to make sure. The link below is a download for the traverser and diff programs only - NO NEED FOR VISUAL STUDIO. I posted the code a few posts back, and if you have Visual Studio 2010 or greater, you can run it from that, and even modify it. However, for anyone that wants to give it a shot without the need for code, here are the binaries only.

LINK

The traverser and diff programs are .NET 4.0 or above. I used common controls for these applications so if you are running any recent version of Windows, it should just run without issue.

When you run the program is should look like this:

Just:

1) Start WT library - don't navigate anywhere in the WT library. Just start it.

2) Click "Find Windows & Process Info"

3) Click "Visually Confirm" - which should flash the List View in the WT library window

4) Click Next to move to the next page.

5) Pick an export location

6) Click RUN

It should start to navigate through the WT library and dump the contents. I might try a different language later if I can get my hands on a copy somewhere. However, I think it would work as-is.

MMM

• fastJehu
    fastJehu

@ MeanMrMustard

Thanks a lot - the WT Library Traverser (as exe) ist working on my PC.

I will continue this time - intensive work next week.

Here you can download different years and languages:

http://avoidjw.org/watchtower-library/

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@Bobcat:

I take it back - I think WT Library was done with Visual Studio C++ with MFC (Microsoft Foundation Classes). I can tell by the "class name" used for the main window. It is auto generated with the same pattern that platform used.

MMM

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@fastJehu:

Good news and bad news. The goods news is that I downloaded the German version, and it worked! The bad news is... that it didn't work for you. I would need to know a bit more information. I think it is something on your side because it fires up for me on a stand alone installation and starts exporting the German version with no issue.

MMM

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

MMM:

Thank you. Sorry for the delay in responding. I envy you a bit (a "bit" ). I stopped progressing with VB at version 6. Only recently had a (brief) opportunity to dust it off for work. When VB7 came out it just seemed too much had changed to continue with it when it was mostly a hobby for me then.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit