Christmas is Coming!

by Drifting Away 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Drifting Away
    Drifting Away

So, this will be a time of much confusion. Being a born in, and wanting to celebrate my first christmas is confusing, nerve wracking, and difficult to comprehend. How have others dealt with there first Christmas after leaving? It sucks because this cult messed me up as a child, I hated going to the library as a kid in school when the other kids were having a holiday party. I acted like I didnt care but, reality is it killed me and to this day (im over 40), I never forgot that. I don't want my kids to feel like this..I guess kids are more excepting these days, and my kids act like it is ok, I think they miss it and are embarrased when asked what they got for Christmas. But now that I have faded pretty well with my wife, We are going to have a small Christmas together. I have 3 kids under the age of 10. So hopefully they were not too brain washed..Anyway, I know its early but, Merry Christmas to all!!

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

You can't do that! I'm telling the brothers!!!

Just kidding. I hope that you and your family enjoys the holiday.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Start off with a Christmas tree. The rest should come easily after that.
  • steve2
    steve2

Allow your head to be full of mixed feelings whilst you direct your actions towards throwing yourself into the festive season. Recognize that FOG (Fear, Obligation and Guilt) will emerge and that, to a lesser or greater degree, all humans have stuff from the past that pokes its scary head into the present and you learn to ride it out.

• Landy
    Landy

Get a nice tree, get the decorations up,

With three kds under 10 xmas morning will be wonderful. Enjoy it while they're young.

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

Christmas is AWESOME!! I love it! The first time i celebrated it was back in 2008. I bought a small 3 foot tree(still have it) and had my boys help decorate it. We decided as a family that we wanted lasagna to be our annual Christmas dinner and it has been every year since. I don't really believe in the whole Jesus birthday thing but we enjoy it as a family and get to spend time together.

It's just a fun day for us to have plus you get presents!!

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Our group is preforming for the senior center, Xmas songs. How terrible, this is what happen when you leave Jehovah, singing and playing (guitar) pagan songs and bringing Joy to seniors. Unlike most of you here I wasn't raised as a JW so I remember the joy of Xmas...

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Just do what you want. If you just want to give your kids presents and not have decorations yet go with that. Christmas dinner well that's just a meal, you can have it as simple or as fancy as you want.

We didn't have a tree until the second year we were out but the smell of a real tree fills your house for weeks and is gorgeous. Your kids will adore decorating it. If you feel odd doing it pour yourself a glass of wine and chill out that's what we did and it became our tradition. Get the box of decorations down from upstairs, pop a bottle of bubbly. 😀

Write a few cards for people at work and neighbours if you feel like it, they'll be delighted.

Your kids will have such a brilliant time and yes they are pretending they don't mind not joining in. They hate it just like you did but they're young enough to forget it all and learn all new Xmas traditions. Have a wonderful time!

• Drifting Away
    Drifting Away

Thank you all for your responses,

I like the idea of a real tree. This year we were actually invited to someones house for Christmas, so that may make an easy transition for our first year, then next year , spice things up a bit. I also plan on writing some cards out to family who will be floored and excited at the same time..

• menrov
    menrov

That is what I would recommend. Either visit others or invite others. Start small and do what you like to do, not out of revenge against WT. Whether Christmas should be celebrated or not, it is a season to spend more time with family, friends and do (more) good to others (your neighbour).

Enjoy!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit