"Heritage" Vintage JW movie from 1966

by NikL 21 Replies latest jw friends

• NikL
    NikL

I can't remember where I first heard about this movie but it was recently.

I guess they even showed it on TV. Probably payed for like an infomercial.

Anyway, I looked it up on youtube and viola!

Just in case anyone cares LOL...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiIu0tm_DyM

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I remember that, There were even posters in the windows of local corner stores about it. Here in NYC it didn't make any of the three bit networks, think it came on WPIX Ch.11. I remember they showed it at the Hall on a Sunday instead of the regular talk.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Thank you, NikL, very interesting!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The huge baby boom generation started to do things that alarmed the previous generation namely their parents.

Rock and Roll, the Beatles, feminism, sexual freedom, environmental awareness, social race equality, these were all parts of the counter cultural revolution that occurred in the 1960's.

Conservative evangelical religious organizations like the WTS/JWS were also alarmed by what they were seeing.

• steve2
    steve2

Those tearaway worldly kids will now be in their mid-sixties - or older.

• DNCall
    DNCall

Heritage was photographed, written and directed by Timothy Galfas. His son was a a Gilead instructor. TImothy "fell away from the truth" and became well known in the movie industry for his "I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing" commercial for Coca Cola (used in the final episode of "Mad Men"), directing episodes of "Night Gallery" for Universal and the movie "Summer Lovers."

I came across him while going door to door in Beverly Hills. He eventually got reinstated and finished his life as an active witness.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

DNCall: I came across him while going door to door in Beverly Hills. He eventually got reinstated and finished his life as an active witness.

There's a bit more here: https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/66326/_post/1029182

• NikL
    NikL

I remember the narrators voice as that which read the book of Acts in the old NWT audio bible.

What a great voice.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I have vague recollections of that "Magnum POS" that was such a BIG "flash in the pan" back then.

Probably all of the talent were JW kids. I wonder how many of them are still dragging their tired asses from house to house, from door to door?

It was just agussied-up part of the BIG LIE.

"Peace of mind and self-respect" MY ASS!

• Room 215
    Room 215

I know many of the young people in the film. It was mostly filmed in and around Hackensack, NJ, by a wealthy JW named Timothy Galfas. He was a producer of film and tv commercials etc. and a close associate of Milton Henschel, and other big shots.Hackensack is a short drive to NY, and he often entertained senior Bethelites there, with lavish dinners on the weekends.

Quite remarkably, Galfas was given a pass on sporting a goatee, and generally appeared to be "bullet-proof" and "untouchable" by the locals because of his relationship to Bethel heavies.

He even conducted the WT at the local KH and had parts at circuit assemblies, usually involving "family values," during which he would trot out his gaggle of kids. (all cute) ... don't remember how many, but it was at least five..onto the stage. There was some local grumbling about his having allegedly filmed a Marlboro cigarette commercial (in fairness, I don't know if he actually did), but again, the locals were advised to give him a pass.

Max Larson, and one Dave Madsen, if I recall, also acted in the film.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit