I dont understand why KH's are less attractive than churches

by nowawake14 23 Replies latest jw friends

• nowawake14
    nowawake14

I mean, come on. If they call themselves the "true", then why are most kingdom halls not as attractive as churches and dont do any better?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Because the WTS intentionally doesn't want to have their meeting places look like Christendom's churches (False religion).

For many years Kingdom Halls and the land they were built upon were donated to the organization and most KHs land titles were set up with legal trusties who attended the Hall.

The WTS's intent was to always distance themselves from Christendom and the sole worship of Jesus, such as the use of the cross and graven images of Jesus.

Khs were built mostly on functionality not overly ornate decor done so to give the attendees the feeling of spirituality within the building such as Catholic churches.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Because they're quick builds usually by rank and file JWs who don;t have the time to build with beauty and quality....no offense

• sparky1
    sparky1

There is no need for a Kingdom Hall to be beautiful, architecturally impressive or aesthetically pleasing because.........they are not churches or houses of worship. They are indoctrination centers.

• Bad_Wolf
    Bad_Wolf

The GB can't fly first class and wear $30,000 watches and rings on every finger if they let all the donations stay at KH to make them look better. Plus, churches don't make good McDonalds or good medicaid doctor offices, which after building with free labor and appreciation, they need to sell to fund the retirement resorts for the GB.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

It mostly comes down to money, American Witnesses make less on average than other Christians, Pew published a study a while back showing that, and so a congregation can't afford to make their Kingdom Halls ornate; and like Bad Wolf said what money Witnesses do offer up goes right to the top. The Governing Body even demanded halls empty out their bank accounts except 5k and send the remainder to help with 'building kingdom hall's (i.e., to Warwick) back in what, 2016? 5k doesn't leave much wiggle room for pillars or painting if you need to fix up the roof or replace some windows.

That being said where I live I've seen some nice Kingdom Halls, nothing like a basilica or synagogue, but gardens grow around the property, they put ottomans in the foyer, they frame the TVs in the sanctuary with wood paneling, the carpet's sleek and colorful, those kind of little touches that go a long way. Credit where credit's due.

• sparky1
    sparky1

john.prestor...you may be thinking of the old kingdom Halls that were once built and owned by each individual local congregation? They are now being replaced by a basic, big box design that comes in three sizes. "Cookie cutter" Kingdom Halls for "cookie cutter" Witnesses.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor
    Oh, yeah that's the ones I meant. The new ones look like duplexes...
  • Betheliesalot
    Betheliesalot

They preach don't work for things in this system , so likewise they follow thru with their frugal shelter in this system of things, because in just a few months it will all come to an end. However this doesn't apply to headquarters where the GB lives like kings with palatial buildings that rival something trump would be proud of.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Sparky1 says ......... They are indoctrination centers.

That's the other important point.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit