Why are Americans always shooting themselves?

by Zep 48 Replies latest social current

• Panda
    Panda

Simon, Hasn't the Netherlands legalized drugs?

If drugs were legal the same people would become addicted as now, only we wouldn't put the doped-up crack heads in prison. Now there's a money saver. I think that drug use should be a personal decision. And then the drug czars would have to find something else to do, who knows maybe they'd buy cocaine farms in Nicaragua, learn fundamental soil conservation, and save the planet. See ... it could work. And they could still wear their BLING and designer clothes. Then some rebel group could come in and say "Ustedes es perros de capitalistos" and then "hasta las vistas mijos."

• Simon
    Simon

We haven't faught any war on drugs, just pretended to. We look at drugs in isolation and miss the bigger picture. Why do people grow drugs? Because they can't make a living growing proper crops. So pressured people in places like Afghanistan try to survive.

Wasn't the whole Iran-Contra afair to do with drug barons and arms? (I may be mistaken, it was a while ago)

I think a lot of agencies and managers have big budgets and jobs thanks to drugs ... they don't want to end it all so preserve the balance.

• Undecided
    Undecided

From what I've seen drugs cause most of the problem with guns. My wife's nephew was shot over a drug problem, he survived. There are area's in nearby Va that the law is afraid to go in at night. A lot of blacks deal drugs to the stupid white people here. You can spot many of them because they don't have a job and drive a BMW or Lexus. Many robberies occur because of drugs also. It's not just blacks that deal drugs either, many whites do also as can be seen when arrest occur in the paper. They should legalize them with proper controls and take the money from the crooks who push them.

Ken P.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

It's cheap population control. China wouldn't have nearly as many as 1.8 billion people if they legalized handgun ownership.

Plus, most Americans can't stand each other. We were founded as a group of people who didn't get along with whoever it was back in wherever it was and we came here, and it's not like we changed at all. We are oversexed Puritan, slave-owning abolitionist, Bible-thumping atheists and we don't like each other very much. I mean, any nation dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal is going to have a problem with authority and have tendencies to pop each other in the face when we get cut off on the highway.

CZAR

• Bendrr
    Bendrr
    Plus, most Americans can't stand each other. We were founded as a group of people who didn't get along with whoever it was back in wherever it was and we came here, and it's not like we changed at all. We are oversexed Puritan, slave-owning abolitionist, Bible-thumping atheists and we don't like each other very much. I mean, any nation dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal is going to have a problem with authority and have tendencies to pop each other in the face when we get cut off on the highway.

Czar, when I first opened this thread I rolled my eyes and thought "aw hell not another damn anti-american-gun-owners thread!" and then I read that gem you just posted. Regardless of your stand on gun rights, that was pretty cool!

As far as the rest of y'all.....Aw hell! Not another damn anti-American-gun-owners thread! Please! For cryin out loud would you please just damn drop it already?! If you aren't an American citizen, and I'm sorry to have to be rude here, but really it's none of your damn business. If you are an American citizen then provide me with an ironclad garantee that I will be safer if I give up my guns, then go out and disarm all the criminals, and then - and only then - will I disarm myself.

Mike.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

It's called Culling

• Abaddon
    Abaddon
    I think a society with legalised drugs would be a nightmare ... the effects of smoking and alcohol no society are bad enough.

Come to Holland; cannabis has been effectively legal for years (you can buy it in licensed shops and possession or growth of reasonable amounts (5 grams/5 plants) is tolerated.

Compare Holland to England; although a few percent more teenagers in Holland TRY pot, there are more regular teenage USERS in England.

Look at Heroin. The average age of a Heroin user in England has stayed roughly static for years, even gone down. The old ones die, and new ones are 'recruited'. In Holland, the average age of a Heroin user has climbed. Older ones are more healthy (controlled distribution) and younger ones don't mix with drug dealers even IF they do smoke pot (the shops where you buy pot from have strict no hard drugs policies), and thus are less likely to be pursuaded to try some.

Sounds like England is living the nightmare NOW Simon. Is this an opinion of yours that you have examined extensively with your post JW mindset, or is it a long standing opinion?

We haven't faught any war on drugs, just pretended to. We look at drugs in isolation and miss the bigger picture. Why do people grow drugs? Because they can't make a living growing proper crops. So pressured people in places like Afghanistan try to survive.

I partially agree with you. People grow drugs as it is profitable for them to do so. Yup, that's true. But drugs are profitable BECAUSE THEY ARE ILLEGAL AND BECAUSE PEOPLE STILL WANT THEM. Fair trade would not end the growing of drugs Simon. Demand creates supply.

During prohibition in the USA consumption of alcohol went UP I believe, and the money made on illegal distribution founded crime organisations. When prohibition ended, these crime familes diversified into racketeering, prostitution, other recreational chemicals, etc.

Likewise, massive crime organisations have developed with the money they are able to make using something that grown commercially only costs $10 a gram - if that.

Remove the illegality, create a framework of controlled supply, and the profits dwindle, the police have vast amounts of time freed from pursuing drug USERS, the drugs dealers stop fighting each other as it's not worth it, freeing up even police time, and drug users who would otherwise commit crime to finance their habit don't have to, freeing up yet more police time.

Legalise drugs in a sensible and controlled manner and the only risk is WHAT the crime organsiations would diversify into after their revenue stream from drugs has gone. I have a cynical half-serious opinion that this is why drugs remain illegal; the government prefers the devil it knows to the devil it don't.

I think a lot of agencies and managers have big budgets and jobs thanks to drugs ... they don't want to end it all so preserve the balance.

This is a very believable idea, and the pathetic joke of the 'War on Drugs' in America (drugs are now cheaper and more widely available than before it started: the War on Drugs makes Vietnam look like Little Big Horn from the winning side in comparison) goes to back it.

But essentially, if I don't harm another person by what I do, then recreational drugs are no more or less right than other recreational activities that carry some form of risk; for example, you are more likey to die if you ride a horse once a week than if you take Ecstasy once a week.

In other words, if I'm not commiting any other crime, controlling what substances I take into my body is an unjustifiable invasion of my human rights, no more valid than a bunch of Jews telling everyone not to eat pork, or a bunch of Catholics telling people not to eat meat on Friday; statements which are valid to those that make them but which are irrelevent to anyone not sharing their beliefs.

• ignored_one
    ignored_one

BBC NEWS Seven die in Chicago shooting A man has opened fire at a car parts warehouse in Chicago, killing at least six people, before being shot dead by police.

The authorities identified the gunman as 36-year-old Salvador Tapia and described him as a disgruntled employee who was sacked six months ago.

It appears he hunted down and shot dead six fellow employees before refusing to surrender, authorities said.

The man had had a history of previous arrests on gun charges as well as assault and domestic violence, they said.

He was fired for causing trouble at work and frequently showing up late at work or not at all.

From the scene, it appears he went throughout the supply warehouse shooting them
    Acting Chicago Police Superintendent Philip Cline

Police were called to the scene after shots were heard at the facility, Windy City Core Supply Inc, on the south side of Chicago early on Wednesday.

They first tried to negotiate by phone with the gunman, but said he "wanted no part of it", and an hour-long stand-off ensued.

Police then exchanged fire with the gunman, both inside and outside the warehouse, before SWAT teams moved in, shooting him dead.

Workplace shootings

The shooting occurred a week after a car supply plant worker in Ohio killed one co-worker and wounded two others before killing himself.

Other workplace shooting incidents in recent years include the death of four people killed at a Chicago plant in February 2001 by a former colleague about to start a prison term.

In December 2000, a man shot dead seven people at an internet company in Wakefield, Massachusetts

In November 1999 another seven were killed at a Xerox facility in Hawaii.

In July of that year, a stock trader killed nine people at two Atlanta brokerage offices and later committed suicide.

Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/americas/3186593.stm

Published: 2003/08/27 23:35:41 GMT - Ignored One

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    Michael Moore is saying that Americans are always shooting themselves because they are PARANOID to the hilt.

Nah... It's the government putting subliminal messages in all the commercials.

I am happy to live hear and not worry every single minute of every day "when" the next suicide maniac is going to drive up to, run up to or walk up to, the restaurant, store, holy ground or school I happen to be visiting and explode on me in the name of ali habibi.

oh wait, thats the name of my landlord. oops

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit