Connection between shunning and Alzheimer's

by poopie 16 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

S----t------r-------e------t-------c-----------h----------I----------n---------g loneliness and isolation to equate with shunning quite a bit.

Yes, shunning can be tough - but it need not lead to isolation and lonelinesss - unless the individual buys into JW crap.

This forum is healthy evidence that, for untold numbers, there is a far better quality of life after leaving. We are many things - but we are not victims.

• poopie
    poopie

I think the point is shunning can lead to social isolation if you feel that all people other then Jw are of the devil and thus when shunned by jw a person May feel she has no one to help her period in or out so result can be a feeling of isolation as a result of mandatory shunning which can lead to mental and emotional disorders including depression and possibly Alzheimer's.

• poopie
    poopie

Put it simply do not place your value as a human on whether or not someone shuns you or not or even if an entire group shuns you or not. One must have peace outside of human parameters.

• poopie
    poopie

I did not make the meeting thinking about mum.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I think the point is shunning can lead to social isolation

Shunning is supposed to be social isolation, that's the very definition of it.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I think if a person was a lifelong JW and found him or herself in the position of being shunned, they could very well succumb to the kind of loneliness and isolation that could trigger depression and depending upon their age, even send them into early onset dementia.

Life long JW's often don't have the skills or courage to go out and make new friends. On top of that, they may actually still believe that worldly people are all evil and the world is going to end any minute. They may believe they deserve to be punished and often their self worth is at a low ebb just when they need it the most.

• poopie
    poopie

The proverbial prison with ni physical walls.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit