Canadian Residential School Deaths

by Simon 18 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

This is absolutely terrible.

A proper investigation is needed, with real bite and consequences. Anyone alive who was involved should be thrown in prison for ever.

These efforts to eliminate the native peoples can only be described as genocide - as bad as these actions were, I don't think they were actually genocide in most cases.

Maybe the German Empire's massacres in southern Africa amounted to genocide.

The Nazi's extermination of Jews was genocide.

The massacre and enforced slavery by ISIS on the Yazidis was attempted genocide.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

LoveUniHate Exams:

You commented, that my statement, "These efforts to eliminate the native peoples can only be described as genocide" - that - in your opinion - those terrible deeds were not actually genocide.

I imagine that you're possibly correct, that genocide could be graded, or we could say, not all attempted genocide succeeds, so its not genocide

But, what are the usual definitions of genocide?

A google search finds this definition by the Definitions from Oxford Languages

"the deliberate killing of a large number of people from a particular nation or ethnic group with the aim of destroying that nation or group."

Another entry from that search is from the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum:

Quote: "Genocide is an internationally recognized crime where acts are committed with the intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnic, racial, or religious group. These acts fall into five categories:

1. Killing members of the group
    2. Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group
    3. Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part
    4. Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group
    5. Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group"

The problem in both North America and Australia, is that the Native Peoples held Land Ttitle under a tribal system, maybe similar to the way Nations today define their ownership of land within claimed borders.

The invading British ( in both the above examples) claimed that there was no land ownership system in existence, therefore the could just walk in take the land over. Am I correct?

When the native peoples protested and attempted to resist the takeover the British solution was extermination, For your interest the map below indicates all the known (and attested) sites of massacres of aboriginal by white settlers in Australia, The article found at

https://www.newcastle.edu.au/newsroom/featured/true-extent-of-colonial-frontier-massacres-revealed-as-new-sites-added-to-interactive-map

has more information.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

1. Killing members of a group - this can't be a definition of genocide. If it were, then all skirmishes in human history were acts of genocide, lol.

The British Empire did some terrible things - it got involved in slavery on an industrial scale, it took over other peoples' land, it killed natives, etc.

But genocide?

I seriously doubt it. The British Empire, like other empires, wanted to subdue other peoples, take their land, have access to their resources, and trade. It didn't want to wipe them out.

And that is what genocide is, wiping out, or attempting to wipe out, a group of people.

• jhine
    jhine

I have just been made aware ( via fb ) of a petition on CARE2petitions to demand a search for all unmarked graves on the sites of residential schools. I have signed and l think that some of you may like to do the same .

Jan

• Simon
    Simon
    the British solution was extermination

"Between 1754 and 1829, British policies toward native North Americans sought three key objectives: recruitment and supply of native military allies; regulation of trade and diplomacy; and protection of native peoples' territorial integrity through negotiated settlement boundary lines."

https://www.encyclopedia.com/history/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/american-indians-british-policies

Most American tribes sided with the British during the war of independence, perhaps why they fared so badly after.

The British policy of negotiating treaties and limiting the expansion of the colonies was partly what caused the war.

I know most American's have been "educated" (indoctrinated) to believe it was about having to pay taxes, but even that is inaccurate - the British removed the tax from their tea to be more competitive, in a bid to bail out the East India company.

https://www.history.com/news/native-american-land-british-colonies
  • Simon
    Simon

Wow, they just found 751 unmarked graves at another school.

No excuse for Trudeau continuing to ignore this, cover it up and drag his feet funding an investigation ... besides the fact that he's a grade A racist fuck.

Daddy Trudeau was PM when these schools were operating.

I think statutes need to come down and landmarks be renamed.

• Simon
    Simon

BTW: they used one have for more than one child. This is a mass crime scene.

• solomon
    solomon

Even the white kids hated going to the catholic boarding schools. The nuns were very abusive to the kids that went there. Many of them remained good Catholics and won’t talk bad of the church.

Hopefully this will give some the courage to speak up about how badly they were treated by the church as kids.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Absolutely shocking!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit