Canadian Residential School Deaths

by Simon 18 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Simon
    Simon

In case you haven't heard, they just discovered the remains of some 215 dead children at a so called Canadian Residential School. They couldn't call it a death-camp could they ... it would be too obvious.

These were where indigenous children were taken, forcibly, in order to "educate" them out of their native customs and languages and make them integrate with society.

Unbelievably, this was still going on in the 60s to 90s.

Of course the Catholic Church has their sticky fingers all over it. What is it about those creepy bastards? Put them in charge of children and they start dropping dead like flies, just ask the homes for unmarried mothers in Ireland. Apparently 1 in 50 indigenous children died. I don't know about you, but I can't recall the mortality rate at my school ever reaching even 1. Who knows what other abuses happened if that was the number who died, those who survived often led lives of addiction as a result of the stress.

The Truth and Reconciliation committee estimated the number of deaths at the school was in the tens, so they were out by a huge factor.

So what to do?

Investigate. Find the true scale of the horror.

Then punish the people and the organizations involved.

And I mean, fucking punish them properly - anyone still alive who was involved, I want to see them publicly executed or at least put in stocks so we can pelt them with shit. Tear down statues of anyone who isn't, that includes Pierre Trudeau who was in power for 15 years while this was going on.

Organizations should have assets seized as forfeiture and paid as compensation to the families of those concerned. I think the Catholic Church can spare a few dollars and then the Pope can come and get on his knees and beg forgiveness for the sins of his house.

• Atlantis
  • road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

I am afraid you will find the same story for US blacks, Indians, Good Shepherd homes (un wed mothers) australian aborigines.

Weigars, Indias untouchables. on......on

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I’m surprised they didn’t find more, given the school was operated for more than 100 years. Child death wasn’t all too uncommon back in the day.

The school was funded by the Canadian government, the forced schooling policies from the 1920s caused massive amounts of people to enroll in an unprepared school system, the church ran it but the goal of these social programs was the eradication of indigenous culture at the hands of government.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

I agree I've been following this story, along with many others.

You can track the history of British migration to North America and Australia and find the same callous disregard for the lives of indigenous peoples. These efforts to eliminate the native peoples can only be described as genocide. Here's George Simpson, a nineteenth century parliamentarian,

“…it will be a happy day for Western Australia and Australia at large when the natives and the kangaroo disappear.
    (George Simpson, Member of the Legislative Council, “Protection of Northern Settlers Against Hostile Natives,” Parliamentary Debates Legislative Council, 14 January 1892, Vol II)

What was described as 'raids' by indigenous warriors were only efforts by native peoples to defend their traditional lands.

Here's a image of what happened to the native people who were captured in one those wars.

After such'wars' children taken from their families in Australia were also 'imprisoned' in church run schools, on the pretext that they needed to be 'civilised.'

A Royal Commission in Australia found:

Quote: "The current Royal Commission investigating child sexual abuse has brought to light the horrific and abusive conditions that children were subjected to under the “care” of various institutions. Not least affected were Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children, who were removed from family, land and culture under the auspices of “Stolen Generations” policies of the 20th Century.

The effects of such abuse – which include physical, emotional, sexual and cultural – have inherently damaged Indigenous communities, the inter-generational ramifications of which can be found in the ongoing high child-removal rates, incarceration, health issues and other poor outcomes across a range of social indicators.

The Royal Commission has a task ahead of itself in dealing with the cultural nature of institutional child sexual abuse when engaging with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities, and requires the support of agencies such as the Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service to do so. ... The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse was set up in January 2013 in response to the overwhelming evidence of abuses committed against children while in the “care” of institutions such as church-run homes, orphanages, foster homes and social clubs. The federal government also recognised that the responses from such institutions – such as the “Toward Healing” and “Melbourne Response” from the Catholic Church – were inadequate.
    While initially due to finish in July 2015, the Commission has been granted a two-year extension to 2017 due to the extremely large number of calls made to the Commission. The Royal Commission aims to provide the opportunity for survivors of sexual abuse to tell their story to a Commissioner in a one-on-one private session. It also investigates specific case studies of systemic sexual abuse through the Public Hearing process and conducts research into some of the broader issues involved.."

Nothing civilised about all that
  • minimus
    minimus

Most of the poor children are abused but not killed. The RCC has a lot of blood in their hands.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

Unfortunately as with just about all religions they are secretive to their internal affairs toward outside acknowledgement.

Sure some of these kids died from natural causes, why is the Catholic church being so quiet about it ?

Are they ashamed or embarrassed because they placed these kids in a common unmarked grave ?

Did they not give these kids needed medical attention because of cost ?

A lot of unanswered questions here .

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    road to nowhere said: an hour ago

I am afraid you will find the same story for US blacks, Indians, Good Shepherd homes (un wed mothers) australian aborigines.

Weigars, Indias untouchables. on......on

You're quite right. rtn, india, is still a class ridden society, although officially the concept of these social classes has been banned. But, there is another, more hidden example of racist prejudice in India. The Naga people, a tribal people within India fought against British and Indian attempts to take over their tribal lands, That war continues to now. It's often described as 'Maoist,' an effort, i think, to misrepresent the rebellion.

A Wikipedia article notes: "The Naga insurgency, climaxing in 1956, was an armed ethnic conflict led by the Naga National Council (NNC) which aimed for the secession of Naga territories from India. ... The Indian Government conceded a separate Naga state within the Indian Union in 1960 and the state was inaugurated in 1963." But this war continues, as do the efforts of high class Indian business men to take over Naga lands

• hoser
    hoser

If the government goes after the Roman Catholic and Anglican Church it will be proof the great tribulation is starting in the minds of the jws.

• just fine
    just fine

@hoser - I’ll have to remind my family about the difference between prosecution and persecution........ again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit