New Light

by Lost in the fog 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

Am I the only one who can't reconcile new light with the light gets brighter? if it matters at all.

I bring a candle into my house and light it. Halfway through it's appearance displeases me, so I introduce a new lit candle and blow out the old one. In time I realise I was wrong about this newer candle so I throw it in the trash, but not before I buy a new one and light it up.

So you can see that my house is benefitting from receiving "new lights" but I cannot say that the light is getting brighter because I am not keeping the old candles lit in my house, I am throwing them out every time.

Tell me then if I keep replacing my old lights with new lights - how can I say that "the light is getting brighter....?"

• jp1692
    jp1692

You’re not the only one.

Why do you think we are here?

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    Tell me then if I keep replacing my old lights with new lights - how can I say that "the light is getting brighter....?"

Replace "light" with "bullshit". It will make more sense.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

I've tried to think of different ways of showing the craziness of that idea. In your illustration, you've missed one aspect.

After tossing the old candle and lighting the new, you realize that the brightest light was the old candle. So you relight it. Ooops, no the new one was brighter. Ooops no the old one...

Will those that were Destroyed in Sodom and Gomorrah be Resurrected? Yes, No, Yes, and NO...maybe yesss......

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes. Good point.

Welcome to our community too by the way! Nice to have you here!

The very notion of "light getting brighter" is ridiculous. Especially so if the thing illuminated actually changes. The GB have changed things so much that doctrines of the past are not even a shadow of what they once were!

To expand on your great illustration, if lighting a new candle inside your house makes your furniture change from a lounge into a fridge, then there is a bigger issue at play!

• waton
    waton

"Your word is a lamp to my foot". All of wt's doctrines are supposed to be originating from that lamp light, the bible. So wt doctrines are filters or lenses (they had a lighthouse once on their cover) interpreting, publishing that altered light. Sometimes wt discovers they installed a wrong filter; Superior Authorities 1929- ~ 1961.

Considering that the original light has such gems as talking snakes to naked, cloned ladies.... what do you expect of the shadow it casts now?

• faithnomore
    faithnomore

It's the only way they can compensate for changing doctrine. Those of us that were in "ate it all up" so to speak because we needed to understand the changes.

Looking back now that I'm "outside" there was no improvement or "light getting brighter" it was pure simple and unadulterated changes.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Welcome lost in the fog

Didn`t Russell himself state in one of his publications that the light getting brighter did not mean a new interpretation of scripture a totally different meaning but an enlightenment or greater understanding of the original interpretation.?

The WT/GB today change a doctrine based on scripture and call it New Light contradicting C.T.Russell`s use of "New Light"

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

righteous bullshit = new light

The WTS has been lying to the public for over 130 years.

..........but it sells literature

• venus
    venus

Lost in the fog, Your question is valid because lamp and light are not interchangeable. Let alone JWs, Bible writers themselves find in such a mess: What Malachi said (3:1) became what Isaiah said by the time it reached Mark (Mark 1:2)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit