NWT released in modern Hebrew

by Wonderment 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

On February 21, 2020, the WT Society made the announcement in their website of the release of the New World Translation in modern Hebrew (Hebrew Scriptures - "Tanakh") in Haifa, Israel. Now, the complete NWT is available in modern Hebrew.

Some time ago, a poster here said that releasing (in theory, i.e.) the Hebrew Bible in a modern version, such as the NWT, would be irrational. Obviously, any effort to translate the classical Hebrew (Old Testament) into English and then back to modern Hebrew via the NWT didn't make sense to him.

Nonetheless, the WT Publishers released their own version of the NWT Old Testament in modern Hebrew. Why would they do so, if many Israelis can actually read the Hebrew Bible on their own?

Yes, they can, but many find it difficult to deal with. The revival of Hebrew language in Israel (being a phenomenom in itself) led by Ben-Yehuda in the late 19th century and early 20th century was based on Biblical Hebrew morphenes. He used thousands of words from the Hebrew Text and from rabbinical commentaries. Many words were borrowed from Arabic, Yiddish, and other sources. The end result is sort of a hybrid language, although some deny this.

Thus, many modern Israelis cannot read the Tanakh with joy. This is where the Society comes in... they contributed their labor and resources by submitting their own translation to the local community. Here is the announcement they made:

Quote:

FEBRUARY 21, 2020

ISRAEL

Hebrew Scriptures Released at Special Event in Israel

“The Governing Body prepared a special gift for you.” So began Brother Geoffrey Jackson, a member of the Governing Body, as he released the New World Translation of the Hebrew Scriptures in modern Hebrew. A total of 2,125 attended the special event held on January 11, 2020, at the Romema Arena located in Haifa, Israel.

Brother David Simozrag, who coordinates the efforts of the Public Information Desk in Israel, commented: “It is estimated that there are more than eight million in our region who speak Hebrew. We believe that providing the Tanakh in modern Hebrew is a valuable contribution to the local community.” This new release is among the very few modern translations available today to Hebrew readers.

The New World Translation is now available in whole or in part in 186 languages. Similar to the Masoretic scribes, our brothers who made up the Hebrew translation team worked diligently to transmit the Bible’s message accurately. The team dedicated more than three years to finish this modern translation. One of the translators observed: “Many Hebrew readers found it necessary to rely on commentaries or translations from other languages in order to understand particular verses and even entire books of the Bible. This Bible allows modern readers to easily grasp the meaning of the Scriptures.”

One brother noted: “After decades in which the average reader could not understand large parts of the Tanakh, he now can understand the message more clearly and accurately.” Undoubtedly, the 603 Hebrew-speaking publishers among the more than 2,000 publishers in the Israel branch territory will use this special gift “to consult the Law of Jehovah and practice it.”—Ezra 7:10. (End of quote)

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

That was a complete waste of time. The bible was originally written in hebrew in the first place--why don't they just use that? Beyond that, hebrew is the only language that is a curse on the whole world. It was designed to reverse ancient languages and whatever benefits they once had, while ensuring the destruction of society at large and preparation for the reptilians to move in. Even the hebrew letters represent a curse on all of us.

You want more hardships, injustice of every sort, diseases, shortages, and communism? You want bad luck in your life? If so, then go ahead and learn hebrew. If not, you are better off learning any other language--that is, unless you are seeking to expose that foul language and what they are going to do to ruin the whole earth and blame people that are trying to live their own lives. If I wanted to learn that type of language, I would prefer Arabic. Or, better, the original language that was supposed to help mankind but hebrew reversed--Sanskrit.

Try writing that filthy bible in Sanskrit and see how far that goes, washtowel! I bet it will reveal the problems inherent with that filthy book--even the word "Satan" in Sanskrit means something totally different than in that foul hebrew language.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Who put a curse on Hebrew?

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

My take on why the WTB&TS has,

On February 21, 2020, the WT Society made the announcement in their website of the release of the New World Translation in modern Hebrew (Hebrew Scriptures - "Tanakh") in Haifa, Israel. Now, the complete NWT is available in modern Hebrew.

In their delusional thinking that they are the mouthpiece for Jehovah to the world in this time of the end.

They think they will fulfill the prophecy of Zechariah Ch.8:20-23

20 ."This is what jehovah of armies has said "it will yet be that peoples and the inhabitants of many cities will come 21. and the inhabitants of one city will certainly go to those of another saying let us earnestly go to those of another saying let us earnestly go to soften the face of jehovah.......

22. And many peoples and mighty nations will actually come to seek Jehovah of armies in Jerusalem........

23. This is what Jehovah of of armies has said It will be in those days that ten men out of all the languages of the nations will take hold yes they will actually take hold of the skirt of a man who is a jew saying we will go with you people for we have heard that God is with you people .

And that my friends is why the WTB&TS have published the whole NWT of the Bible into modern day Hebrew.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Well they gotta do something to keep busy I guess. Printing something in a language that no one speaks or understands makes a lot of sense! But it does give the rank and file something to brag about and get all giddy about!

just saying!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I wonder if this is a move to ingratiate themselves somewhat with the Israeli authorities, who do not look kindly on Sects coming to convert their people. They can claim it is " Bible Education" that they have provided for free to the Israeli people, giving them their Scriptures in their modern Hebrew that they can understand and read easily.

Rubbish of course, they simply want converts, and then can claim that " Jehovah" has blessed their work, and get more donations from the gullible JW's who will see this as a wonderful thing.

• careful
    careful

Thanks, Wonderment for the post.

Two reasons why a modern Heb. NWT makes sense:

1. Modern Hebrew ≠ ancient Hebrew. Languages are always changing, and not just with additional vocabulary. Look at how different KJV English or Shakespearean English is from modern English. That's only 400 years ago. Go back to Chaucer in the 14th century and then Boewulf before him, and the English is almost unrecognizable.

With biblical Hebrew we're talking 2000-3000+ years. I've spoken with modern Greeks and they tell me that they cannot understand the NT when it is read in modern Greek Orthodox services. It has changed that much in 2000 years.

2. It is much easier to control the R&F if you've got one translation issued by the authority of the organization they are all obedient to and trust.

We all know how the WTS is obsessed with control.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

People (primarily Orthodox Jews) that want to read the Tanakh do so in the original Hebrew language. The fact that the "average reader could not understand large parts of the Tanakh" is not because of old Hebrew but by religious design, Orthodox Jews use the Talmud for explanations of the Hebrew scripture because the God of the Bible and his actions in itself do not make a whole lot of sense. The Talmud is basically an apologetical commentary on the OT.

They could've just as well said, "The average reader of the Bible cannot understand large parts of the Bible" because that is also true, but they don't need JW to 'help' them with the understanding of the Bible by changing the meaning of scripture through their oversimplified English translations.

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

Jesus is coming, look busy even it is a futile task!

Zing

• JoenB75
    JoenB75
    JWs are proud of communicating in many languages. It does not have to make much sense. Maybe they can say to the Israelis hey we dont worship Jesus either 🤭. In similar vein JWs may collect bibles with the name Jehovah in for no other purpose 🤭. I remember my old as aunt saw me buy an old.bible. "Is the name of Jehovah in it?" "No but the name of Jesus is 😘". She knew we were fading 😄

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit