How Many Here Are Estranged From Your Family Because Of The Witnesses?

by minimus 18 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Do your JW relatives still talk to you? Are you now not very close? Are you avoided??

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

no

yes

yes.

• Theonlyoneleft
    Theonlyoneleft

I’m the only one left of my direct family that is not a Jehovah’s Witness. (Phew quite pleased I’m no longer there).

We used to have an ok relationship but things started changing, as they need to feel more Uber, better witnesses and I’ve started speaking my mind up... I can see the main boat drifting into the horizon.

so .... I think it’s only a matter of time that I’ll be no longer associated with them.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I'm not estranged.

Just strange.

Rub a Dub

• NoAbuse
    NoAbuse

About 1/2 of my family is JW. Aunt's, Uncles, Cousins. My parents are former JW, but left in the early 90's. The JW side, I don't see much anymore but at this point it feels like "different lives, different cities" etc, more so than religion.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

All close relatives are JW's. No contact. Made contact and developed friendship with a 3rd or 4th cousin and their family several years ago. Its all I've had for 15 years except for my own wife and kids.

Going hunting with my disfellowshipped nephew soon. Very excited about that.

• fulano
    fulano

N

y

y

Something new?

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

My parents did the whole DF routine, as per the edict from Brooklyn. Then, when things relaxed in the late 70's and the society rescinded their hard stance, they became much more accepting. However, when the rescinding was rescinded they didn't renew the hard stance and our relationship stayed more tolerable, albeit some alcohol-fuelled disagreements occasionally surfacing much to the astonishment of my non-JW partner.

My ex-wife came from a quarrelsome Eastender type of JW family and was forever being bounced one way and then the other by her own parents and siblings.Our children from that marriage were greatly distressed by the hot-then-cold attitude of their blood relatives, so much so that when my ex died they refused to allow any of my ex's 4 siblings to attend the funeral. So in a way the disfellowshippers became the disfellowshippees. Which I guess is karma setting things straight.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Oldest son and family, brother and mother. Still Totally ADD

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I have somewhat limited contact with my parents and last time I talked with my extended JW family was a few years ago now. If they see me at a funeral or wedding somewhere, they won't ignore me. In fact, they will take full advantage of the moment to catch up and frankly, so will I. Its just that since I'm inactive, they will limit the exchange to those special occasions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit