Why do you call yourselves "apostates?"

by Marbles 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Apostasy has no relationship with truth. Even if a religion is BS, you can still be an apostate.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Similar to a black person referring to themself with the N***** word-- or a Mexican using "Wetback" or "Spic". They would never mean that is a "real" description of themself. Rather, it's using the pejorative term to make a point.

This. By calling myself an apostate I rob the word of its power.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

According to many theological dictionaries Apostasy is "the total repudiation of the Christian faith." While this term may fit a number of individuals who have left the JW religion, most notably Lloyd Evans, Apostasy should not be applied to all ex-JWs.

For example those ex-JWs who join another Christian Church have not repudiated the Christian faith. Instead they have merely rejected some of the Watchtower's questionable doctrines and beliefs. Thus they are not apostates. According to the dictionary they are "Heretics." Of course the JW GB refuses to use that term in describing ex-JWs for obvious reasons.

However, there is another group of ex-JWs, and this may also include some still associating. These are the schismatics. Schism in this case is the refusal of submission to the JW GB, while accepting most Watchtower beliefs. In fact there used to be a small group of schismatic JWs here in Northern California. They called themselves "Jehovah's Witnesses Independent of the Watchtower." These folks believed all the JW doctrines. However, they rejected the GB.

Since I joined the Anglican Church after leaving the JWs, I'm a Heretic, not an apostate.

• Marbles
    Marbles

Lots of great answers! It wouldn't be fair of me to say which one is my favorite (I want to), but...if you want me to say which one is my favorite in a couple days, either like or dislike this post and I will make a decision based on the likes or dislikes.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I don't use labels. They are divisive.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Marbles - "Why do you call yourselves 'apostates'?"

We don't.

The Watchtower calls us that.

• LongGone
    LongGone
    ... the Bible defines people who leave their previously held beliefs as apostates.

It is the English language that defines "apostate" rather than the Bible. The Bible nowhere defines that word.

When writing about Jehovah's Witnesses, I find it necessary to specify (c)lergy, (l)aity, and (r)eligion, because the various contexts are different from one another.

I have never been a JW, only a Bible student with them.

I understand. Interestingly, J.F. Rutherford apostatized all Jehovah's Witnesses(c,l) (the ones who followed after his teachings) from the Bible Students who continued to adhere to the teachings of C.T. Russell.

The reason I refer to myself as an apostate in relationship to Jehovah's Witnesses(r) is because I used to believe that was a source of truth and I adhered to it as such, but now, I do not and I actively work against the interests of JW(r) and JW(c).

... from an outsider's point of view (mine anyway) it looks like the equivalent of calling yourself a racial slur, or some really profane word, actually.

That's reasonable, and in a way you are correct. However, when we own as badges of honor and esteem the very labels that others would use to offend us and malign us, we lessen or void the power of those labels to do us harm and frustrate the intentions of those who deliberately hope to shame and scorn us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit