Why do you call yourselves "apostates?"

by Marbles 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Marbles
    Marbles

Well let me clarify the question. I know you call yourselves apostates because the Bible defines people who leave their previously held beliefs as apostates. My question means, if the Bible is not true (and I don't think it is) then there is no such thing as an apostate.

I have never been a JW, only a Bible student with them. I personally wish I never even opened that book. Anyhow, from an outsiders perspective, the word apostate is so derogatory, and it also seems like such a threatening word if you refer to yourself as that to religious or even non-religious people. I do not think it is necessary for you to refer to yourselves as apostates. Just my opinion. But if you have a specific reason for using this word to describe yourselves, I would like to hear it.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Actually the christian New Testament doesn't even use the word apostate. I'm sure many ex-JWs use it because it is an official JW offense, that many have been charged with in a judicial committee. Some just re-appropriate it (tongue in cheek) and some use it in quotation marks, but we all understand what it means and doesn't mean.

• Marbles
    Marbles

Okay, but from an outsider's point of view (mine anyway) it looks like the equivalent of calling yourself a racial slur, or some really profane word, actually. Maybe like calling yourself a mother f%cker? I just wanted to let you people know what it looks like from a non-JW point of view.

I won't always be posting my observations from an outsider's point of view, but sometimes I will! Just you making the statement that "it's an offense that many have been charged with in a judicial committee" triggers my outsider point of view perspective, for instance.

The JW governing body are just sick in the head for doing this. They have adopted the Jewish rules and regulations (many of which are just flat out missing from the Bible) that the Jewish people used during the Sanhedrin- a Jewish Court of Law independent of the State Court of Law. The Sanhedrin had High Priests and a far greater number of elders than eight, or however many elders there are per congregation. I agree with some of the comments I have seen posted around You Tube and occasionally reddit. It's not a religion, it is a corporation. More likely a real estate development corporation.

I have a JW neighbor who used to be a real estate developer. He has this massive warehouse of heavy equipment that he used to use, I guess, but never uses anymore on his shambles and brambles of property. I kind of believe he thinks all our neighbors will be killed during Armageddon and then he will haul out his heavy equipment and turn the neighborhood into his personal paradise.

• waton
    waton

Being affirmed as an apostate will exempt you from the judgement. karma that is to be meted out against all supporters of a falsehood that was proffered as coming from the creator.

Apostates will get a double portion: witness Joseph, the primary whistleblower.

Jesus, fulfilling the law outside the lawyer's setup.

enJoy the judgement.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i dont call myself apostate--that was a label stuck on me by others 40 years ago. If it makes them happy--fine by me--i like making people happy.

welcome to the site.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

The WTS considers someone an apostate if they 'oppose' the organization, which can include something as simple as speaking out against the wrongs it has perpetrated or it's damaging policies. I would assume that, for many who spend time doing that, they are proud to be considered apostates. If you are identified as an opposer by an organization you consider to be evil, it's not really a derogatory term.

• Biahi
    Biahi

I am a proud apostate! 😀👍🏻😈

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I think it's in an effort to make the JW term a "joke" vs their "mentally diseased" description.

Similar to a black person referring to themself with the N***** word-- or a Mexican using "Wetback" or "Spic". They would never mean that is a "real" description of themself. Rather, it's using the pejorative term to make a point.

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

Apostate seems to fit in Watchtower world. And name calling is so High School.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

we call jw's "dubs"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit