What would you do? Need advice

by jwbot 14 Replies latest jw friends

• jwbot
    jwbot

Ok, so, I am 21 years old, a full time student, and I work part time to support my habit (education). My S/O with whom I live, is also a student and works part time. We all work/play/go to school in the area that we currently live in. Its also an expensive area.

Well we have been given the opporitunity to rent a HOUSE (currently we are in a 1BR apt. eww) for a little bit more than we spend on rent now. Not only that, but the house has just been built, its very nice and on a LOT of land.

So, I should jump on it, right? Well there is some large "Buts"

- It is 45min to an hour away from where we go to school, where we work, and where our friends and fun is.

- It is closer to family...in fact, the next town over, but they would not visit much, but maybe they will

- It is in a small ass rinky-dink town, I am trying to get OUT of that.

- Its the perfect "settling down" type of thing. I plan on going to school for another 5 years and will have my masters, I actually want to be a professor, so it might be just right for that sort of thing.

Ideas?

• obiwan
    obiwan

Having a stable home is important. Ask yourself, If you moved into this house would your studies improve? You would also have your own "space". And hey, your friends need to get away from the city sometimes, it will give them a place to party!

You may have to adjust some thing but the end result will be worth it. I suppose that there is no way at all a home like that is in the city, so this could be an opportunity that you may regret passing up.

• Valis
    Valis

Think about the gas money involved...and driving too far after you've had a tad bit too much fun...Probably not worth it, unless you are just in need of change. Best of luck.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

It's a hard call. I think, were it me, at that point in life, the "settling down/comfy home" thing would not offset the cost of having 1.5 hours per day taken from me, plus the added monetary expense. 1.5 hours is alot of living.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Many people are attracted by the pastoral life in a small town. Over the years, I have lived in small towns, big towns, farms, and cities. I would have to say that small town life is vastly overrated. You have much less privacy that you would in either the city or the country (everybody knows everybody else's business). There is also the inconvenience of constantly driving long distances everywhere you go.

But, who knows. It can be a good thing, too.

• jwbot
    jwbot

Ok, so here is where I am at:

The Pro's:
    • It is a house (not the 1-bedroom I live in now) I could have an office! We are running out of room...
    • It is a new house
    • It is nice
    • On 3 acres
    • its in a town near my family
    • only $600/mo (or $300 each. We currently pay $235 each)
    • We were going to look for a large place anyway
    • I have a reliable car, so its no problem.

The Con's:
    • It is 45 minutes to an hour away from stuff
    • My family wouldn't really visit anyway (but there is a chance they will, they somewhat warmed up to me again)
    • It is completely away from friends I have made
    • The town kinda sucks, but its secluded
    • I really like my car, why would I want to put many miles on it? Gas prices suck.

• Brummie
    Brummie

Jwbot, is there nothing a little closer that would give you more breathing space? Something a bit bigger but not so far away.

You will need to go to school everyday but wouldnt necessarily have to see your family that regular. The travelling to and fro to school & freinds should have the first priority rather than gamble on the chances of seeing your family more (especially if they are jws who dont spend much time with family living outside the home).

Hope everything works out for you, I'd look around first.

Brummie

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

I live about 45 minutes away from school, and work. and I hate it. I would jump on the opportunity to live in the city... So, I'd stay where you are, close to school, work and fun, is ideal in my mind...

-

And the world shall tremble in the wake of the Blue Bubblegum
    Dutch District Overbeer

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

I own a house and I can tell you the utilities will kill you compared to an apartment. So you have to figure in alot more money if you want to live in a house. I know a small apartment is not always the nicest to live in, but are you really in it that much??? If you both go to school, go out with friends etc. seems to me the best thing would be to get your education, and than buy a nice big house that you can afford wherever you want to live. JMO

Leslie

• Panda
    Panda

Don't Do It that gas will kill you, utilities will canabalize your $$$,

Everyday 45 min each way , everyday!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit