The Watchtowers

by BluesBrother 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Edit .. I messed up the title, on this touchscreen tablet and now I can’t edit it !

The title should be “ The Watchtower’s (sort of) Apology for 1975 ….. sorry.

January 1st 1976, I remember that day when I heard a radio disc jockey gleefully announce that the world had not ended as Jehovah’s Witnesses had said it would . Without doubt the Watchtower Society had egg on it’s face in the early part of 1976.

As for us, we simply repeated that we had never set a definite day, but a time period and we were certain that it would come, any time now……… but weeks turned into months and months became years and even the most vocal of our number were not talking about ‘75 anymore.

Then in 1980 the Society printed this article. The title “ Choosing The Best Way Of Life” did not betray the impact of the admission that lay within .

Watchtower March 15 1980. Par 4 - 7

“Those who have tried to keep God’s judgment time “close in mind” have, on more than one occasion throughout history, become overly eager for that day’s arrival, in their own minds trying to rush the arrival of the desired events……..

In modern times such eagerness, commendable in itself, has led to attempts at setting dates for the desired liberation from the suffering and troubles that are the lot of persons throughout the earth. With the appearance of the book Life Everlasting —in Freedom of the Sons of God, and its comments as to how appropriate it would be for the millennial reign of Christ to parallel the seventh millennium of man’s existence, considerable expectation was aroused regarding the year 1975. There were statements made then, and thereafter, stressing that this was only a possibility. Unfortunately, however, along with such cautionary information, there were other statements published that implied that such realization of hopes by that year was more of a probability than a mere possibility. It is to be regretted that these latter statements apparently overshadowed the cautionary ones and contributed to a buildup of the expectation already initiated.“……..

In its issue of July 15th 1976 The Watchtower commenting on the inadvisability of setting our sights on a certain date, stated: “If anyone has been disappointed through not following this line of thought, he should now concentrate on adjusting his viewpoint, seeing that it was not the word of God that failed or deceived him and brought disappointment, but that his own understanding was based on wrong premises.” In saying “anyone,” The Watchtower included all disappointed ones of Jehovah’s Witnesses, hence including persons having to do with the publication of the information that contributed to the buildup of hopes centred on that date…Nevertheless, there is no reason for us to be shaken in faith in God’s promises. ”

(End of quote)

So there we had it , in our minds the Society had apologised for leading us up the garden path . As believers what else could we do but “keep calm and carry on” , so we did…… for years and years

• waton
    waton

it was 1914 all over again, about which Carl Sagan wrote: "-- the world ended, but nobody noticed," and wt right after, 1918 and on, commented

"The world has ended, millions now living will never die" the kingdom is in the spirit realm, , the end of the world symbolic too.

note the weasel words in th PO quotations that blame the victims.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I'd estimate that at least 50% of current JW's do not even remember the 1975 fiasco. They were not even born yet. The fact is that you have to be a born-in and at least 60 years old to recall it all. And you know damn well not to EVER mention it.

What any one else learns about it when they discover it, the info is based on the "WT spin". You know the spin. The "brothers" (GB) never said that! Some people "ran ahead" of the organization. But you can find a lot of exaggerated misinformation from apostates.

• DoubtingThomas
    DoubtingThomas

So WHAT?

• St George of England
    St George of England

Our Kingdom Ministry - May 1974 - "How are you using your life?"

Reports are heard of brothers selling their homes and property and planning to finish out the rest of their days in this old system in the pioneer service. Certainly this is a fine way to spend the short time remaining before the wicked world’s end.​—1 John 2:17.

George

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

So WHAT?

DEUT 18:20-22 --20 "But the prophet who speaks a word presumptuously in My name which I have not commanded him to speak, or which he speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet shall die.’ 21“You may say in your heart, ‘How will we know the word which the LORD has not spoken?’ 22“When a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the thing does not come about or come true, that is the thing which the LORD has not spoken. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him."

To continue to follow these men/prophets (Yes, they claimed to be God's prophet equal to Ezekiel. WT 1972 04/01 pg 197) is to directly go against the direction of God's Word.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

"...it was not the word of God that failed or deceived him and brought disappointment, but that his own understanding was based on wrong premises.”

"Nevertheless, there is no reason for us to be shaken in faith in God’s promises. ”

It never ceases to amaze me how Jehovah's Witnesses equate their own religion (and their leaders) with God himself, saying we should never be disappointed in God or his promises. Right. But we should be very disappointed in the Organization that lied. God didn't lie, but Jehovah's Witnesses did. JWs should recognize the difference.

• DoubtingThomas
    DoubtingThomas

I am a JW.

I DON'T.

I see Jehovah as God, the 'Org' (meaning the GB) just as men.

Since you realize He doesn't lie, you aren't going to a church?

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

@ Doubting Thomas

I'm not sure if your post was directed at me or not. It isn't clear.

I DON'T.

You don't what?

I see Jehovah as God, the 'Org' (meaning the GB) just as men.

Of course. It is Jehovah that warns us against false prophets, and against those that lie. "But as for ... all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns fire and sulfur. This means the second death" (Rev 21:8, rNWT)

Those men, when caught in a lie, often say something like 'don't be deterred from God or his promises,' meaning in reality 'don't be deterred from us,' thus they are equating themselves with God. Why do you keep supporting a religion that differs from your own point of view?

I am a JW.

If you are familiar with even a small part of the Watchtower organization's misleading information, much of which amounts to outright lies, why are you still a Jehovah's Witness?

Since you realize He doesn't lie, you aren't going to a church?

What makes you think I don't go to a church?

• DoubtingThomas
    DoubtingThomas

It was.

You go to a church, which tells you NOTHING of what the Bible really says.

I'm a witness of Jehovah and Jesus- nothing will ever change that.

Does the GB have the spirit of the 12 apostles? It would seem so. They will have to answers for themselves.

Yet they have promoted the Truth of God's word thru us!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit