BREAKING. European Court rules for Jehovah's Witnesses in long-awaited "extremism" case

by Corney 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Corney
    Corney

In 6-1 judgment, the ECtHR found that the forced dissolution of Jehovah’s Witnesses religious organisations in Russia, the banning of their religious literature and international website on charges of extremism, the revocation of the permit to distribute religious magazines, the criminal prosecution of individual Jehovah’s Witnesses, and the confiscation of their property unlawfully interfered with their human rights. The only dissenting judge is apparently Mikhail Lobov, who was nominated by the Russian Government.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Does the ECHR have jurisdiction in Russia?

Russia has its own courts instead, surely?

• Corney
    Corney

It does, since Russia voluntarily joined the European Convention. Pacta sunt servanda.

It's funny how you're concerned about rights of the neo-Nazi government of Russia.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Ah right, thanks.

I'm interested to see how this plays out.

I'm guessing Putin will now take Russia out of the ECHR, lol ...

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

My guess is that Putin will ignore the ruling, but will seek to remain in the ECHR. I'm curious if they will try to remove Russia from the court if it ignores or rejects the ruling.

• markweatherill
    markweatherill

The Russian authorities have some valid concerns about the JWs.

But their police state methods are possibly what made the Court rule as it did.

But then there's this: (source Russia ceases to be a Party to the European Convention on Human Rights on 16 September 2022 - Newsroom (coe.int) )

Following its expulsion from the Council of Europe on 16 March 2022, the Russian Federation will cease to be a High Contracting Party to the European Convention on Human Rights on 16 September 2022.

• Corney
    Corney

And the Court has jurisdiction in respect of all violations committed until that date, 16 September 2022.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I don't understand why Russia simply removes any tax breaks they get, remove their status as a religion and merely classifies them as a business (which they are).

Then go all out in organising an official enquiry into their child abuse problem, like CARC. An inquiry Into the shunning of minors, the illegal pressure they put on members to refuse blood, & Watchtower orders not to vote. All on pain of shunning & DF/DA.

All of these things are legit methods of bringing the organization terrible publicity, driving away converts & making Watchtower in Russia's life difficult & costly.

They may possibly even force change on some of their behaviours if heavy financial penalties are at stake.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known
    I don't understand why Russia simply removes any tax breaks they get, remove their status as a religion and merely classifies them as a business (which they are).

Brilliant! Going from the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses to the Official Fan Club of the Governing Body.

Then go all out in organising an official enquiry into their child abuse problem, like CARC. An inquiry Into the shunning of minors, the illegal pressure they put on members to refuse blood, & Watchtower orders not to vote. All on pain of shunning & DF/DA.

This should be done on an international, worldwide basis.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

I'm sure Putin will apologize and compensate the JW's right before he turns himself in for war crimes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit