Mind control

by Jrjw 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jrjw
    Jrjw

Ive just watched on YouTube the B.I.T.E model of cult mind control by Steve hassan. All 23 steps apply to the wts. Its awful knowing i was tricked and how subtly it was done without me even knowing. There are some other great videos by him on there too that are well worth watching. He's an expert on cult mind control for any of you who havent heard of him. I never believed my family when they told me jws are a cult and that they've brainwashed me, I used to laugh it off as completely ridiculous

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Yes very useful book, he explains the techniques employed by cults and the mechanisms of mind control ie thought reform very well.

• All or nothing
    All or nothing

Also it's important to note he WASNT ever a jw so the whole apostate objection doesn't apply to him or his books

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    Its awful knowing i was tricked and how subtly it was done without me even knowing.

Just out of curiosity, can you tell what specifically "got you"?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The actual methods outlined by the BITE acronym are used by all cults,it is effective, and those within are very unaware that this deliberate application of a sinister technique is happening to them, they still think they are free !

What really got to me after I had left, and after I had read Hassan's book, and other stuff on Mind Control, was the extent of loaded language used in the Org's writings.

"Right minded " or "Humble" or "Right thinking" people do thus and so, is often used, along with many more Loaded phrases.

It struck me straight away that if they had the "truth" they simply would not even think of using such underhanded, deceitful methods. It was clear that those in the Writing Department did not believe what they were churning out !

• Jrjw
    Jrjw

Scratchme1010 - fear of not listening to them. I felt once I knew what learned off them from the bible that i couldn't just ignore it and had no choice coz I'd be destroyed along with my daughter at Armageddon if I didn't listen

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Jrjw - Nothing you can do about the past. Just focus on the future for yourself and your kids. Believe me, I still get angry at myself for not realizing things sooner. But, its a meaningless exercise to beat yourself up over the past. Learn from it and most importantly, teach those critical thinking skills to your kids so they don't get involved with a cult (JW or otherwise) in the future.

By the way, it was Hassan's BITE model that really convinced me that JWs are a cult not just a somewhat controlling religion. If you honestly apply it, almost every sign is applicable.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

But don't a lot of these points apply in lots of situations: school, churches, the army, workplace, political parties? It's more a matter of degree.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Definitely worth buying his book. I got it on kindle format and read it in like 2 days when I first left the cult.

i once shown it to a hardball JW and he admitted that the methods are all used by the Watchtower society. But he defended it by saying "but Jehovah uses the BITE model. So it can't be bad."

• flipper
    flipper

JRJW- Good for you that you're reading Hassan's information regarding cults ! I highly recommend reading all of his books . Very informative and helpful to anybody exiting any kind of high control or mind control organization. In fact, Hassan's books helped me even more than Ray Franz's books I believe. Keep the great reading and work up ! Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit