Mental Illness among JW's

by Victor 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

All religion is a form of mental illness!

just saying!

• cofty
    cofty
    All religion is a form of mental illness!

I'm an atheist but I strongly disagree with your assessment of the cause of religious belief.

See Jonathan Haidt - The Righteous Mind

• Victor
    Victor

All religion is an antidote for existential anxiety

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ eyeuse2badub & Victor...

Tell me...

...would you still say that about religions that genuinely and fairly utilize the democratic process, embrace fiscal and policy transparency, foster authentic, positive community activism, and actually accept and respect the discoveries of history and science (no matter the implications)?

• Victor
    Victor

In my opinion all religions ameliorate the existential anxiety and offer a means to transcend one’s humaness

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ Victor...

Ah, okay, so you weren’t actually being critical per se... it was more of an observational conclusion?

• Victor
    Victor

Yes an opinion Vidiot. The new normal is prosperity gospel enterprises ala Joel Olsteen. A different type of enslavement that builds dependence.

VE

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Don’t kid yourself.

There’s nothing “new” about the so-called “prosperity gospel”.

It’s been around for decades.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I think JW life and doctrine leads to mental illness. Especially depression. But of course, the problem is always placed on the person and never the org that causes the problem.

Waiting, waiting, waiting for a day that's always "just around the corner" (since 1875) but never comes. To keep yourself on your toes every second of every day is not healthy.

Forcing yourself to suppress or stifle your deisres, goals or interests simply because a magazine told you to also isnt healthy.

Thanks for the linked artcal Atlantis, reading it now with interest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit